BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike calls for 5w-40. Dealer put in 15w-50 at 6000 mile service. I've ridden nearly 3000 miles since then and I swear the shift assist does not work as well. No, I've not had the software upgrade as of yet, so the only variable is the change in oil viscosity.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have had noticeable shifting variations using different oils in other bikes so I'm not surprised by what you are saying.

It is my understanding that BMW switched suppliers to Shell for the new 5W40 oil used in the water heads.

So the question is why did your dealer not use the BMW oil specified for your bike when they did the oil change? Perhaps it was a mistake, perhaps that was all they had, who knows?

I'd go back and tell them, get the update and ask for an oil change with the specified oil. Your problem sounds like what happens when a dealer does the update, but forgets to do the sensor position relearn step....that could also be possible.

On a side note, My Goldwing always shifts better using Shell Rotella 5W40 which is most likely the same or very similar stuff to the new BMW specified oil. I like it, it's good stuff.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike calls for 5w-40. Dealer put in 15w-50 at 6000 mile service. I've ridden nearly 3000 miles since then and I swear the shift assist does not work as well. No, I've not had the software upgrade as of yet, so the only variable is the change in oil viscosity.
Changed the oil and filter yesterday using the Castrol 5w-40 recommended in the manual. Rode about 200 miles today. I think the shift assist works better with the proper oil.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
My Shift Assist was clunky from the day of delivery...

Had some other "issues" and had the bike in the shop for a look-see and to get the Shift Software update... which includes an adjustment to a sensor related to shift assist.

My bike shifted far better... smoother, less jerk etc after the update and I declared success!

If you get that update done I bet it will be better than it is now for you.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Changed the oil and filter yesterday using the Castrol 5w-40 recommended in the manual. Rode about 200 miles today. I think the shift assist works better with the proper oil.
i'm glad you've resolved the problem to your satisfaction. In the future, I'd make it clear to the dealer up-front that you expect all work to be done to BMW specifications. That is a reasonable expectation. There is no point in having the dealer service the bike if they are making up their own rules, and you should not bear the expense of correcting their mistakes.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Why did they put the 15-40 in? Did you request it? Which dealer?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was Gulf Coast BMW in Houston. I never dreamed I'd have to tell them to use the only oil viscosity listed in the owners manual. Why did they do it? That's what they use. Sometimes in Texas mechanics will tell you to use heavier oil because it's so hot here. It's as if they figure BMW or Toyota or whoever did not engineer their vehicles to operate in Texas or Florida or Arizona. It's baloney, and they act as if they're giving you great insight about the care for your vehicle under extreme conditions. In this case, I had a deadline to ship my bike west for a big trip so no time to have them do it over. The thought of going back there and waiting for them while they make it right was not worth my time, so I spent $70 on the oil and filter and did it myself. Now I know it's right. I'll give them a call and let them know. I'll ask them for a credit, but doubt I'll get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts