BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone whats the best way to do this? I will be changing the oil when I do this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dvx216 said:
Ok everyone whats the best way to do this? I will be changing the oil when I do this.
Whether you like it or not :)

I will have to defer on the sight glass change to someone who has done it. I believe it requires a fair amount of swearin', yellin', and bustin' of knuckles.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I melted a hole in the old one, put a hooked piece of metal in and pulled it out. Tapped the new one in, and done. Was harder getting the fairings off than changing the site glass.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
fpmlt said:
I melted a hole in the old one, put a hooked piece of metal in and pulled it out. Tapped the new one in, and done. Was harder getting the fairings off than changing the site glass.

Did it 2 weeks ago, 20 minutes to melt the plastic, pull the glass and replace with a new one

·
Registered
126 Posts
just did mine , like they said above , on a '99 you dont need the retaining ring

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Here is another point of view - why change it?

I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at mine, must have been early on the '02. If I don't see it on the ground or coming out the tail pipe, I figure that it must be in the engine. It is such a PITA to look at anyway. Can you name another manufacture that gives you a (cheap) light to check the fluid level or puts the sight glass where you nearly have to lay on the ground to see it? You would think that it would have an dash light to tell you if it was low (like the brakes).

Come to think about it, I couldn't tell you the last time I checked my truck. I only checked the van because SWMBO was taking a trip and asked me about it.

I love my LT but, gosh darn it, there are just so many of these screwy things - i.e. oil fill hole on the side of the engine instead of on top (like the last K bike) where you can actually pour into it; having to remove the foot peg to refill the trans.; the trans. drain plug location and what you have to get to it; it goes on and on. It's like they don't want you, or the mechanic to be able to service it.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dvx216 said:
comes with retainer clip but it is not used correct
The retainer clip is used on the Boxer bikes, not K bikes. The boxers develop pressure pulses in the crankcase as the pistons move in and out, and this has blown many a sight glass out of them. Never a problem on the K engines since two pistons are moving out while the other two are moving in, canceling the pulses.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
It's easy to replace when the oil filter is out. From that opening beneath the engine you can get in a long punch or screwdriver and and just knock it out. To install use a socket to drive it in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: oil sight glass change?

umm, why will I someday- apparently(?) need to change out the sight glass???

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They tend to fog over so that you can't see the oil level in the engine.

I agree with Kim, why bother?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Also they have it a little over full and can only see black when they look at it thinking they need a new one. Best to ride it until warmed up and the put on the centerstand with the engine still running. The watch the sight glass as you shut off the engine. If you see black then and not the oil rising back into view, then you need a new glass.

·
Registered
714 Posts
DITTO....

dan

alabrew said:
Here is another point of view - why change it?

I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at mine, must have been early on the '02. If I don't see it on the ground or coming out the tail pipe, I figure that it must be in the engine. It is such a PITA to look at anyway. Can you name another manufacture that gives you a (cheap) light to check the fluid level or puts the sight glass where you nearly have to lay on the ground to see it? You would think that it would have an dash light to tell you if it was low (like the brakes).

Come to think about it, I couldn't tell you the last time I checked my truck. I only checked the van because SWMBO was taking a trip and asked me about it.

I love my LT but, gosh darn it, there are just so many of these screwy things - i.e. oil fill hole on the side of the engine instead of on top (like the last K bike) where you can actually pour into it; having to remove the foot peg to refill the trans.; the trans. drain plug location and what you have to get to it; it goes on and on. It's like they don't want you, or the mechanic to be able to service it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody have a recommendation where I can order a replacement sight glass for my 2005 K1200LT ? I am no where near a dealer so just want an online source I can order from if possible. Thanks in adavance :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
A&S powersports ..

·
Registered
378 Posts
BigH501 said:
Anybody have a recommendation where I can order a replacement sight glass for my 2005 K1200LT ? I am no where near a dealer so just want an online source I can order from if possible. Thanks in adavance :)
MAX BMW is highly trustworthy, which is a rare thing when dealing with dealers.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51715&rnd=04302013

I cant find the sight glass in the microfieche online, give them a call and see if they can get you what you need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you, both A&S and MaxBMW list the sight glass t $33.77. Is that reasonable ? I somehow had the impression it should be less than that ? Isn't there a generic aftermarket version that is supposed to be about $13 or so ? I could swear I saw that someplace back before I needed the part now I can't seem to find the info anywhere...

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Any part that says BMW on it and is less than a hundred bucks is priced right. Just did my throttle cables. $175.00, but I got TWO cables and TWO pieces of plastic for that amount.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Any part that says BMW on it and is less than a hundred bucks is priced right. Just did my throttle cables. $175.00, but I got TWO cables and TWO pieces of plastic for that amount.
Dean,not to hijack this thread, but I did your modification to the stock cables 2-3 weeks ago. I'm hoping the cables will last for a while, after all the bike only has 14K on it now. How long did yours last and why did you change them?

Robert

1 - 20 of 34 Posts