BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am between a 24K service (Throttle cable upgrades and a engine oil and oil filter change) on my 99 LT. I also did some other service (like bleeding the brakes, etc) that's not relevant to this topic. I had to remove the fuel rail for the throttle cable upgrade. I thought I had put her back into a working condition. I had drained the old engine oil and replaced the oil filter with a new one. I fired up the engine for a 15 to 20 seconds but quickly realized I forgot to add new engine oil. So I turned the engine off. After a few hours I added approx 3 quarts. The oil level in the window was a little over half way so I started the engine and it drank the oil. Oil level went below the minimum mark so I stopped it again and added more oil. Now the oil levels are fine.

Almost done with most of my service so I washed the bike and went for a test ride today morning. There is a rattling sound from the engine and after approx half a mile of ride the red oil light (I believe its low oil pressure light) came up. I continued cruising along at approx 25-30 mph and parked it. Most of the threads indicate that the oil filter might be lose or the old oil gasket is stuck inside. I plan on checking the filter tonight to ensure its tight and I am sure the old gasket (the black rubber ring) is on the old filter that I removed.

- Was I supposed to add oil to the new filter before mounting it into the engine?
- Have I damaged the engine already ?Can the rattling sound be due to damage to the engine? The sound reduces as the RPM increases. I allowed the engine to reach 4000 RPM once just to check the engine response.
- Can low oil pressure cause engine rattling noise?
- When I was changing the throttle cable I had to remove the fuel rail. While putting the fuel rail back into place I observed that the 4th cylinder fuel injector went in all the way and a slight locking action. But the first three did not have similar locking action. I still observe a small portion of the yellow fuel injector ring after the installation. However the injectors seemed to be fit snugly.
- Should I focus on fuel injector's or the oil filter as my problem for rattling noise?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
it is a good idea to fill the filter, not necessary on a gasoline engine, it takes 5 seconds to fill the filter and pressure the engine, would not think 15 - 20 seconds no pressure idling would harm your engine but running any engine with unidentified noise is risky, you need to solve oil pressure problem - check filter. injectors should be seated completely
are you sure you only had it running for that short period of time?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure I didnt load the engine much. Ran the engine while the bike is on center stand for 15-20 seconds. Then with good oil levels took a mile of test ride.

Will check the filters and injectors tonight and post an updated.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
I don't think you should worry about running the engine with no fresh oil in it for a few seconds.
Years ago I tried on purpose to "fry" a Grand Cherokee engine by running it and gunning it for about 45 minutes after draining all the oil in it... to no avail.
Do you have an alarm on your bike? I am asking because I had a red warning light coming on while riding my 05 LT back from a 4 day ride in heavy rain. It turned out to be my battery on the key fob was running low and loosing its "connection" for the bike alarm. A new battery solved that issue.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If your oil light stays on do not run the engine. Make sure you have the proper filter in there, that it is properly tightened, and that there are four quarts of oil in her. If the light stays on, seek further help. Do not run it with the oil light on.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,412 Posts
You may have trashed the babbits in the rod big ends. Once damaged you cannot maintain oil pressure. They can be replaced with out removing the engine. Don't run it again untill you pull the crankcase cover and inspect. Look back for a post about a "Sewing Machine Sound" . This is what caused it and how he fixed it. There was no damage to the crank and he replaced the bearings and all is well.

Look at the old filter you removed, if it still has the rubber gasket you need to look at those bearings. If it is missing the gasket then open the cover and re-install the oil filter with just one gasket. If it was in there the symptoms you described would also be caused by the oil bypassing the filer due to two gaskets not sealing. You might just get lucky.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil filter was loose. Tightened it and used new oil and she sounds so sweet now :) Took a quick test ride and she seems to be happy. Going for a long long ride this weekend now.

Thanks everyone for help.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You are truly blessed among men.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN! No one can be blessed enough to get away with this twice!

Loren

LTFan said:
Oil filter was loose. Tightened it and used new oil and she sounds so sweet now :) Took a quick test ride and she seems to be happy. Going for a long long ride this weekend now.

Thanks everyone for help.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You have used up ALL of your luck...

John

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
wa1200lt said:
You are truly blessed among men.

DON'T DO IT AGAIN! No one can be blessed enough to get away with this twice!

Loren

+1

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
He ain't lucky! He's lucky lucky lucky! (Old Joke) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts