BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question. GTL manual says 5W40 or 10W50. This weight is not easy to find here, (I can find 5W30 or 10W40) what alternate do I use? Other than ordering from BMW.

Garry

·
Registered
135 Posts
Haven't seen the manual for the 1600, but usually they show some kind of ambient temperature range for the various viscosities that they recommend, Some will work in a greater range, some are recommended for either the cooler or the hotter end of the range.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey Garry, sorry couldn't resist ............

Isn't it ironic that you moved to Alberta and have trouble finding oil.

Hope all is going well and the weather holds for more of those great rides.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
135 Posts
They show the lower limit of the ambient temperature range, but no upper limit. I have noticed, even in automobiles that as they get newer, the first number in multi-viscosity oils has been getting lower. I suspect a number of factors are at play there, likely improving oil technology, tighter manufacturing tolerances, and a desire to get oil up to the cam and valve train quicker on start up. Since the first name in the manual is Castrol, can you order online and get the correct viscosity and spec?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
garry_kramer said:
Here is the page from the manual

Garry
Garry, they are specifying RACING oil. These oils have special additives and a higher concentration of zinc. I would bite the bullet and get the BMW oil until you find a suitable equivalent. Don't be a penny wise and dollar foolish.

·
Banned
144 Posts
And the dealers are using and recommending SPECTRO 5w40 full synthetic....NOT Castrol. Both dealers I talked to said that the owners manual that came with the bike was wrong.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
PHILBERT40 said:
And the dealers are using and recommending SPECTRO 5w40 full synthetic....NOT Castrol. Both dealers I talked to said that the owners manual that came with the bike was wrong.
Yikes! That really clears it up! :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
PHILBERT40 said:
The owners manual recommendation is from the BMW mothership in Germany. If you read the label carefully on the BMW-branded 5W-40 bottle here in the US (made by Spectrol), it clearly states oil tested and qualified by BMWNA.

·
Registered
112 Posts
PHILBERT40 said:
Spectro makes the BMW-branded full synthetic 5W-40 oil sold here in the US, so no surprise there. Right on the label.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealership is using 10W40 mineral oil on all GT and GTL oil changes.

Garry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts