BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a little less than 4 quarts of oil in the bike. Is there a danger of overfilling? I notice I was supposed to put 3.7.....

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
As long as you did not put in over 4 quarts, it should be fine. I always put 3.5 quarts in my bike, as I save the other .5 quart for the next oil change. This puts the oil almost dead center of the sight glass.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not. I put it probably 3.90 -3.95 quarts .

As always, thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Check the sight glass

If you don't see an oil line with a void above it in the sight glass...you have put too much oil in. My manual says halfway and my dealer fills to almost the top of the sight glass.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mowoc said:
I put a little less than 4 quarts of oil in the bike. Is there a danger of overfilling? I notice I was supposed to put 3.7.....
Yep, it was simple. If you had just used the brand name of the oil you used, then we would have a fight! :D :D :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

So back to the question: I Have one don't and one do replace the oil and at a lower amount.

If there is too much in there, what is the harm? thermonuclear explosion? leaking gaskets?

Oh, I won't tell you about the oil. I have seen the oil threads on this board and yall have both the most knowledge and the nastiest fights about it. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would simply loosen the drain plug, let some of the oil out and put it in my bosss's coffee on Monday morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts