BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'03 LT with a little over 30k is leaving an oil spot when I park it.

Coming from the top of the engine.

Got the tupperware off and there is a oil puddle on top of the engine. Injector #3 a little wet with oil.

Now how do I get the air cleaner box off, what is the probable source of the oil and best way to get to it and stop it.

Any bug collectors out there? Must be a million of them in the radiators and jammed in some of the most improbable places. Some a little the worse for wear but if anyone wants them, I got them.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy, Guns!

Merry Christmas!

Yeah, it's a bit tedious removing all the bits... but the airbox does come away.

My DVD is currently packed but I am sure you will find a way.... or someone will pipe up soon.

Let us know how you get along with the effort. Perhaps this is a good time to document the process for the future... (nothin like properly executed recon)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also have a 03 and had an occasional drop of oil which looked like it was coming from the top side of the engine. I had the bike in for a problem with the brake controller and I asked about the oil leak and he pointed out some hoses that with age begin to leak. I had them replace the hoses and also the air filter since they had the bike apart anyway.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hey Gunny,

I just checked the service CD to confirm what I remembered seeing on my 00 LT. The hose clamps securing the air ducts from the airbox to the engine air intakes have to come off. Some/all may be the screw type clamps. On Tarkus they were mostly the pinch type clamps- I believe only one was the screw type. Be careful when you reassemble that the clamps are aligned so you can get to them the next time the airbox has to come off. HTH. Good Luck. No real idea where the oil may be coming from.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
When new to the LT I went to a Tech Session. It was a clutch and other stuff. But there is a breather hose up top the breaks and then spews oil. It had this bike a mess. It is not a hard fix, just getting to it is a pain.

Of course not sure that is your problem but it may be.

If I need to do it I will look for a "better" solution concerning materials. Cant see why BMW rubber hoses, brake lines, and seals don't hold up well?

Of course one has to define "well" for themselves.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
May just want to pull it all off as an assembly. The oil culprit is the hose you see at the back of the throttle bodies.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Oil Puddle, Oh No! Update

John:

My LT looks like yours in the photo. All apart.

Yup, its the breather distributer manifold, cracked at #1. Hose where it comes off of the engine is cracked also, thats where most of the oil is coming from.

Thats a lot of little parts jammed into a small area.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
I almost wished I had replaced mine when I had it apert for the clutch job but didn't want to wait for the part. Mine had no cracks but it is just a matter of time... enjoy.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
I have two used breather manifolds they do have some visible cracks in the hoses but they don't leak. If you have the time I would replace with a new one. I also have extra screw clamps for the air filter box. I'll be in the garage today & tomorrow working on the LT.

Mine has so much blow by because of one bad piston I made my own temporary breather system that vents into the air. The only draw back is the fumes I can smell now & then.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gunny
First off,,, The crossover hose on the throttle bodies is probobly what's leaking on your lt. When these leak it will fool the computer and let the engine run lean. Second it will leak oil as this is your crankcase ventilation hose. The hose is 70.00 dollars at BMW. I made my own out of stainless with 4,6" pieces of hose you can buy at any motorcycle shop. BMW dealer won't get my money on this part. It needs to be replaced. Also on your airbox hoses make sure upon reinstall you can throttle up without hose clamp interferrence. Check this several times to make sure it will throttle up all the way with no interferrence. If you have a problem just loosen whichever clamp is touching and turn it a little then tighten it and check again. On most lt's your clamps for your airbox 2 are snap clamp and 2 are screw clamps. I put all four back with screw clamps. If you can't find these just pm me and I can send you what you need.
Good Luck and OOORAAAH

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

Drove over to Dave's, he fixed me up with a good used one and some clamps.

Thanks Dave.

Clean up, lube throttle cables and put it back together tomorrow.

Again, thanks for everyones help and advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts