BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pressure light came on during a ride, any ideas? I had to trailer the bike home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it was pumping oil, the engine started making noise so I quickly shut it down.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Oil filter may have spun loose, or there were two oil filter o-rings in which one blew out. Who replaced the oil filter last? Did you actually see the old o-ring attached to the filter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping you are correct on the oil filter coming loose. I changed the oil and removed the rubber gasket from the previous filter.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Drain the oil into a clean container, preferably a white or light colored one. Look for metal in any form, chips, pieces, metal flake. See if the filter has come loose. If just a loose filter, spin on a new one and I think you'll probably be OK.

How long did it run with the light on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:dance: I never did close the loop, the oil filter did spin off!! No apparent engine damage as I have ridden about 2000 miles since the incident.
For all the above with the suggestions, you diagnosis from a far was correct, thanks for the help.
:dance:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Larry, glad to hear you found the problem and are still able to ride the bike. Glad the engine wasn't damaged and you got off with just a bit of worry.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Just be sure that you don't let this mishap cause you to tighten the next oil filter like a GORILLA :eek: We've seen some pretty interesting threads around here where they were over-tightened and couldn't be removed w/o a WHOLE lotta trouble. :cussing:

Just tighten the new one to spec, using a good quality torque wrench and you're good to go! Glad it didn't lunch your engine. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts