BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body out there found oil on their front brake caliper . I also found it on the garage floor . It is a red color . It looks like it came from the right side fork . There is also oil up around the air intake ? any help would be appreciated :confused:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
Sounds like a fork seal leaking. Not a big deal since the oil is for lubrication only and does not affect the suspension (singe mono shock/telelever front end). It is more of an annoyance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey Rob,

I recently had the same problem...first thinking I had a brake fluid leak, as I'd found oil on my calipers and drops in the garage under the left front disk. It was indeed my fork seal, so I just had my dealer replace both for me. In the scheme of things, it's not a huge deal. I paid $225 to have both replaced. Grand Rapids BMW had them done in under three hours, and that gave me time to do test rides on the K1300GT, the R1200RT, and the R1200GS. I had a blast waiting for that repair to be done.

There's been a recent posting of how to change them yourself, if you're game. Do a search on fork seals and it should come up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Had the same problem with mine.....right fork seal. Replaced it myself in one day....seems to me it was about $32 and change. Now I know/understand how the front end works.....pretty slick design.
Remove the front wheel....both fender halves.....hang the calipers off to the sides along with the Moto lights......drain the fork.....undo the bolts holding them to the lower end of the stem......slide the slider off.....clean it up....replace the seals and the oil....slide her back on...etc., etc.... Interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts