BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding along with my kiddo this evening in beautiful Texas.........out of nowhere the word "oil" appears where my temp / mpg / dte number would be. Next to the word "oil" is a check mark.

What's this mean? Why does it appear now (22.5K miles --- bought at 17K)? Can't say I've seen it before. Help appreciated.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Not sure which year RT you have but my 2012 will display a check mark next to oil. This means the oil level is within normal operating limits. So for this check mark to display on your dash indication the following parameters must be met. Engine at idle, bike speed at 0 mph and oil temperature at normal temperature range. If you select oil on your display when you start it up and the engine is cold and you run through the display until you get to oil you will see a dash ( --- ). If you proceed to ride then it automatically changes to tire pressure indications. When you stop again it goes back to oil. If you have the owners manual it explains this in detail.

· Registered
3,231 Posts
Dive into your owners manual, If you did not get one with the bike it is a good idea to find one on the web. Please post the year of the bike. It is odd that this would happen while riding. The oil level is only posted at a stop. Super your on rides with your kid. That is the best.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Earlier boxer engines had the oil level warning display at any speed. This created a false low oil warning. So BMW changed the warning as it is presently. This was earlier models and I'm not sure what years and maybe BMW did a upgrade on those earlier models to reflect current boxer engines.

· Registered
24 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts