BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
Easy to replace the site gauge. It is a $36 part. But other than that - No. One thing you might try is to park it on the center stand with the engine still running after a ride. Then shut it down and shine a light on the gauge. It is normally empty when the engine is running and will fill after shut down. Might see a shift in darkness.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You might try a little plastic polish on the outside of the window. I bought mine 2 months ago and was not real happy with the site gauge until I polished the outside of it real well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You may also try polishing with 2000 and 3000 grit wet/dry polishing paper and then put the plastic polish on, worked very well on my 2002, looks like new 3 years later.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
A little Brasso and elbow grease works well to polish it. You can find Brasso at your local grocery store in the cleaning aisle, and elbow grease, well, if we need to tell you...

Reactions: nikosK1200LT

·
Registered
211 Posts
A little Brasso and elbow grease works well to polish it. You can find Brasso at your local grocery store in the cleaning aisle, and elbow grease, well, if we need to tell you...
:laugh: ha ha, nice, how much of each do you use in the mixture for the correct polishing results?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I believe someone went in through the oil pan and wiped the inside of theirs clean where it had gone black from the oil they were using. Most of them have the white color though from oxidation I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
ha ha, nice, how much of each do you use in the mixture for the correct polishing results?
The ratio of Brasso to elbow grease is largely dependent upon what brand, viscosity, and type (dino or synthetic) you use.

Another factor to consider when calculating the ratio, although not nearly as important as oil specs, is whether you are running with the factory muffler bearing fluid or have changed it out with an aftermarket fluid.

IMPORTANT: sad that this must be said, but for those who are uncertain, this post is complete satire. Do not rely on it or treat it as technical advice. :))

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
IMPORTANT: sad that this must be said, but for those who are uncertain, this post is complete satire. Do not rely on it or treat it as technical advice. :))
Dang, I was thinking I was missing something in my service routine. >:)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Mine was black on the inside. I had to replace it (twice, don't ask). If it occurs again I will drop the filter cover and remove the filter and spray the back side of the glass through the shield with the holes in it with brake cleaner using a long tube. The old sight glasses were plastic. The new ones are glass and somewhat fragile.

Robert

·
Registered
211 Posts
I believe someone went in through the oil pan and wiped the inside of theirs clean where it had gone black from the oil they were using. Most of them have the white color though from oxidation I suppose.
Hey Dean, maybe you 're referring to me or not. Anyway, having the same visibility problem on an oil and filter change on my naked K100 I saw that I had some access there. The inner mirror-like plate has small holes around. I used cotton buds through these holes and cleaned the black dirt film on the glass inner surface. After that I could see my oil level again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts