BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have the oil level message in the bike's display just read "---" instead of "OK"? It's so random on mine. Oil level is good to go but I see more "---" instead of "OK".

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Oil check can only give a reading when it meets certain conditions.

Engine at operating temperature.
Engine idling for at least ten seconds.
Side stand retracted.
Motorcycle is upright.

If you have all those satisfied, and still get no result, you may have an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Oil check can only give a reading when it meets certain conditions.

Engine at operating temperature.
Engine idling for at least ten seconds.
Side stand retracted.
Motorcycle is upright.
I have the same issue with my '18 and have a crazy, nonsensical workaround. If I display my "Oil Level" before the above conditions are met, most often I get the dots all day and never see the "OK".

However, if I don't display the "Oil Level" function on the menu until AFTER the above conditions are met, it seems to work more often than not. (EDIT: I call up the display while stopped for over 10 seconds and have to make sure that my hand is not touching the throttle and that the clutch is fully disengaged or the bike is in neutral. Any movement of the throttle or a change in RPM's seems to re-set the timing)

Try it and see if this works for you and let me know if this works or not...I could use a sanity check on this pat your tummy and rub your head thing.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Probably the least useful indicator on the bike, my GTL was the same as my RT, have stopped looking at it, none of my BMW's ever used oil between changes.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And as if right on cue...the message appeared. I guess it doesn't really matter- I'll chalk it up to yet another component on the bike that doesn't perform (the entire audio system). I'd rather use my eyeballs at stops to check the level. :)

Boxflyer, I'll check out that forum if I survive my next LD ride. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts