BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some advice, my 2000 LT (85,000 miles) has developed an oil leak from where the clutch housing bolts to the transmission (I think). With the motor running I can see fluid and bubbles escaping from this location. Has anyone else experienced this and how big of a repair is involved? :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Yes, I have experienced that.
Yes, it is a big job.
No, this is not good news.

Do a search on replacing the rear main seal on your engine. While it is a big job, I actually enjoyed the work, just didn't enjoy the part where you let go of a lot of money.
Sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fpmlt, just found a post with a step-by-step on how its done. Be nice to talk with any LT owners in the Colorado area. Hint, Hint. :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Many of the LT's experience this oil weeping from the trans/bell-housing joint. It is said to be the "O" ring of the rear main lip seal carrier ring. It weeps down the area in front of the fly wheel, by-passing the clutch disk and pressure plate. I feel it is not a show stopper until the clutch acts up. Some LT's have weeped for over 20,000 miles plus with out the clutch slipping.

Just make sure to wipe the area with paper towels often so that the engine oil keeps weeping and does not pile up in the bell-housing. Expect to add 2 oz of oil to the engine about every 1000 miles. Only add oil to the middle of the site gage window when on the center stand. It might cost you 1/3 the value of your LT to get at that 13 year old non 100% sealing "O" ring.

Ride it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts