BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went in to my garage and noticed a spot of oil, or so it looks, under the bike. The drip appears to have come from the left side of the engine. I havent had the time to take any tupperware off, but it is not comming from the oil drain plug or filter cap. It looks like it is dripping from the left side of the engine not the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas what it is or where it may be comming from. I'm having a panic attack thinking about it. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rlamar2398 said:
It looks like it is dripping from the left side of the engine not the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas what it is or where it may be coming from. I'm having a panic attack thinking about it. :(
My 2001 developed a leak from the bottom left hand corner of the valve cover, where it meets the timing cover. Used extra silicone there when replacing the valve cover gasket, and it has dried up.

I drove it leaking for a couple of years, and the oil had migrated all along the timing cover joint to the center/front of the engine (making me freak out about having to R&R the timing cover), but it appears to have all been coming from the valve cover. It would drip onto the inside of the lower fairing, then eventually a few drips on the ground.

Clean it up, drive it some more, inspect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I looked into and under the left fairing and saw that the seal on the front of the engine, please forgive my ignorance at not knowing exactly what the cover is, is wet and the oil appears to be migrating and dripping on the inside of the bottom and then on to the ground. I will wipe it clean and keep inspecting to see where the oil originates. Its funny that even though I have worked in engineering in a Naval nuclear submarine, I am intimidated when it comes to turning a wrench on this bike. :confused:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I had a similar leak, due to stripped valve cover bolts, the oil was evident on the front of the engine so it first appeared to be coming from that are after close inspection though i was able to trace it back to the valve cover. Here is a bunch of pictures I took. while fixing it, some show the valve cover and where the oil was leaking around the stripped bolts... So loose bolts or bad seal with the gasket could cause the valve cover to leak, there is a couple of place around the gasket where if you don't use Silicone you can get this type of leak too.

Many of these pictures were as I was taking the Tupperware off just for my own reference...

Pictures...

Thread from my oil leak last year..

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Rlamar2398 said:
Just went in to my garage and noticed a spot of oil, or so it looks, under the bike. The drip appears to have come from the left side of the engine. I havent had the time to take any tupperware off, but it is not comming from the oil drain plug or filter cap. It looks like it is dripping from the left side of the engine not the bottom. Does anyone have any ideas what it is or where it may be comming from. I'm having a panic attack thinking about it. :(
Hi,
I see you have a 2002LT so since on my 2003LT the oil leak was coming from the vent hose assembly on the top of the engine.
Unless you have recently removed the valve cover, I doubt that it's leaking.
I noticed my leak while riding on day long trips at 80+ mph and noticed oil on my left foot and shifter.

$72 bucks for the assembly/distribution hose(11151465009) and a day of my time in my garage. It's very doable, but you must have a lot of patience and some forethought as to how to get the new hose assembly on. Not much room to see/do at the same time when attaching the hose to the vent tube and tightening the clamp.
Removing theleft fan shroud, airbox, throttle body, injectors and all the wiring just was time consuming since it was my first time getting into the bike that far.

Hope you've already stopped your leak and are out riding!

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I am going to open her up this weekend to change oil and the air filter so i'll be able to get a better look. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts