BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike in for an oil change today and she is leaking oil from the timing chain cover from what the BMW wrench said. I was told it is as easy as taking the tupperware off and removing and resealing the timing chain cover allowing it to cure for 24 hrs after it is reinstalled. Has anyone experienced this, and is it that easy?

THANKS

·
Registered
698 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but I did my valve adjustment this spring & followed the procedure. Use some high temp black silicone on the gasket knobs that allow access to the cam sprocket bolt. Make sure the surfaces of the gasket/mating head & valve cover are clean & free of oil etc. Let her set up for the 24 hrs you mentioned & I didn't have any leaks.

Good luck

Lafirecapt said:
Took the bike in for an oil change today and she is leaking oil from the timing chain cover from what the BMW wrench said. I was told it is as easy as taking the tupperware off and removing and resealing the timing chain cover allowing it to cure for 24 hrs after it is reinstalled. Has anyone experienced this, and is it that easy?

THANKS

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had the same leak early on my 2002 at about 3000 miles. Dealer never said what caused it but I suspect cover bolts worked loose. Maybe didn't get locktite when assembled.

You should be able to reuse the gasket that is there and back it up with some sealant.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
The timing chain cover is not that easy as the seal on the crank at the hall effect sensor is flimsy and easily damaged. Plus you have to remove that sensor and its hardware to pull the cover. Also there are wires to the oil pressure and water temp sending units that must be cleared to remove it. There must be 25 bolts on that sucker. I have removed one but have not re-installed one. There is no gasket just sealant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts