BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've just completed the cleanup and repairs on the '02 LT after successfully completing my trip to Alaska in May/June '06. Rode the LT as far north as the Arctic Circle (200mi north of Fairbanks) on the road to Prudhoe Bay. 250 of that 400 mile loop was dirt, gravel and ChipSeal and very hard on the LT. I had to have the exhaust system welded back together when I returned home and now notice I have a very, very minor engine oil leak. This did not exist prior to the Alaska trip. The oil appears to be coming from between the engine and clutch housing. If it were a car I'd suspect the rear main seal on the engine. The odd thing is it seem to leak sitting on the centerstand and not running. Main seal leaks usually are run type of leaks from the oil pressure on the rear main bearing?

What's the collective experience with rear main seal leaks? The bike currently has 56K miles. I don't even want to think about having to pull the tranny and clutch to fix that seal. At the moment it's a very minor thing. Anybody ever played with engine oil stop leak conditioners on a motorcycle???
My doomsday side wonders if the engine block could have a crack from all the shocks the bile took? I sure hope not. There is no evidence of stone damage to the oil pan area.

FYI. Alaska is Awesome on two wheels. But be warned, you will be riding in GS type conditions due to road construction and the jaunts like the one to the Arctic Circle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Amazing!

Vern,

You da man! I would never ever think about taking my LT to the arctic circle. I'm afraid I'd have to rent a GS or some other dirt bike. Congratulations on a great achievement. ;)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Not to post bad news to you, but I think that it is the rear main seal. Mine went out at approximately 60k. My understanding is that is is the type of rubber used. It gets hard and solidifies and will just crumple. What I do not understand is that this seal has another seal directly behind it. Attached is the parts used to repair my LT. Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts