BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil leak. Timing chain cover w/pictures

I have an oil leak at the front of the engine about half way up. There is oil above the water/oil pump. I'm guessing it's timing chain cover. From what I'm reading, there is not a pre-made gasket and to use high-temp Permatex for a sealant. Are/is there a better sealant to use and is my assumption correct? In these pictures I have already wiped some of the oil away.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You do not need high temp sealant. Just get a small tube of Permatex Ultra Black, and put a fairly thin coat on the cover and put it back. That is what I use on most automotive/motorcycle sealing tasks. High temp is not necessary at all on most engine seal surfaces. The normal is designed for most engine uses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dshealy,
Thanks for your reply. If you had a chance to look at pictures, would you think they indicate it is the timing chain cover?
Thanks,
Doug

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Too hard to tell just where it is leaking. I would thoroughly clean the area up (you need to do this before you pull it anyway) and then look for the source of the leak it may be some where else.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Take your time. Did I say take your time? Gotta be clean and exact.

Mines been resealed twice under BMW warranty and once under extended warranty.

The original seal started leaking at 6000 miles. That repair only lasted another 6000 miles.

The second fix lasted fifty thousand miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts