BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While doing my 1st oil change on the 2009 LT sidecar rig that I purchased a year ago, there is oil on the boot between the back of the trans and the drive shaft. I could not reach it so no smell test. About a month ago I did spill some oil while topping it off. The rig had 11k miles when I bought it and 18k now. How serious is this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
How much oil? If it is just seepage and a light coat that has attracted dirt, it may not be something that needs to be addressed immediately.
If there is accumulation of visible drops and it is leaving large puddles on the ground it should be taken care of.
It could be trail off of oil you spilled. Determine if it is clean or dirty oil and what kind of oil it is. The transmission on this bike does not share the engine oil like many other bikes do.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
Clean the area thoroughly, then loosen the clamp on the boot and pull it back. If oil runs out you have an issue. Shine a light up towards the transmission and see if there is an oil trail there (this would be a leaking transmission output shaft seal). If not then the next culprit is the rear drive pinion seal. Unless it is flowing out after the clean up you are OK. I get occasional seepage from the grease in my rear drive pivot bearings and it shows up there, since they have zerk fittings on them and I get carried away with the grease gun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, the oil that I'm seeing is on the small boot at the transmission end of the drive shaft housing. Would looking in the tunnel reveal anything?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
You know I thought that was what you said but thought... Yes it would as if the leak is the transmission output seal (and they have been known to weep) you will see a trail of oil. That boot is actually lubricated prior to installation so it will pop over the back of the transmission, but it is held in the swing arm with a retaining clip.

You can pull both foot peg plates off of that side and get a better look at the area, but to effect any fix will involve the removal of the final drive and the swing arm. This may give you a better look ever with a side car rig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts