BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil is on bottom of tranny, leaking on floor, clutch slips in 5th gear when roll on of throttle, oil level is down in engine....how is the best way to get to rear engine seal??????? :confused:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Good insurance and a hand grenade :D

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no 'good' way to get to those seals. At least for the less than totally committed and skillful home mechanic. The procedure has been described here in the forums before, usually in conjunction with the clutch slave master cylinder repair/replacement. The hang-up? You have to start at the back of the bike and start removing parts: wheel, rear drive, drive shaft, tranny, etc.

Several people on the site have done it, but I saw it was rated for ten hours or so shop labor, and quickly decided that would probably be 40 hours for me and weeks of a partially disemboweled whale in my garage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Join the crowd

sgt said:
Oil is on bottom of tranny, leaking on floor, clutch slips in 5th gear when roll on of throttle, oil level is down in engine....how is the best way to get to rear engine seal??????? :confused:
I'm looking at the same thing - although there is another possible failure mode (as suggested to me by Dave Shealey): the crankcase ventilation hose may have failed and resulted in oil eventually flowing down the outside of the engine case.

I still have enough clutch to commute to work and use all gears; however, I'll be tearing into the beast in the near future. As others have said, it's labor-intensive...but I understand it's not that complex, and if you can get your hands on the right sockets (including the modified 30mm deep socket for re-installing the swingarm), it's an extremely valuable learning experience. And for most of us, it's a great opportunity to replace a bunch of other hard-to-get-at wear items while we're in there.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
I'm looking at the same thing - although there is another possible failure mode (as suggested to me by Dave Shealey): the crankcase ventilation hose may have failed and resulted in oil eventually flowing down the outside of the engine case.-----------------
That will result in oil going down the sides/rear of the engine, and showing up on the bottom of the case, but will not result in clutch failure, as the oil will only be external.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts