BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might interest someone. A while back there was a thread on an RT oil leak. At the time, I noted that I seemed to have a very small leak on the left side of my '09 R1200RT. Not very much, but a leak never-the-less. On closer inspection, the leak seemed to come from around my left main spark plug. Fearing the worst, I contacted my local dealer, Mortons in Fredericksburg, VA (not, by the way, the place where I bought the bike from). Per phone, the service manager was fairly certain that the leak was probably due to a damaged gasket around the plug, something he thought would be fairly easy to remedy.

BUT when I made the appt to bring my bike in, he ran my VIN through the computer. Here's the kicker. I bought the bike in the fall of '09. In July of '09 BMW issued a recall for the brake line. I brought the bike back for both the 600 and 6000 mi services (different places). At both services, I was assured that there was no recall on my bike...but there WAS.

Kudos to Mortons of Fredericksburg. Not only did they fix the leak, but they finally replaced the faulty brake lines. And they were great about it! :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

brseman

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you bought it new, BMW sent a recall letter to the address they have for you in the computer so anyone who bought a new bike and didn't get a letter (maybe you moved and your mail is no longer forwarded)- well there is still another way to check for open recalls. A first class shop should do that for any bike in for service- they're making computer service entries anyway and they can generate a little factory-paid work if there are any.

Don't just ASK unless you really know the guy you're talking to is current on everything. Any dealer can put the VIN in their computer and see if there is an open recall on the bike. If a previous owner had the recall done they'll know- those services are also recorded. Its how they get paid for the work.

My bike was about the 80th my dealer had done the brake line recall on. He estimated they had about at least that many more coming in but remember that any dealer can do a recall service so they can see bikes they didn't sell- if nearby dealerships have gone under their recall work goes up. Factory pays for the recall time but the allowances are pretty tight- dealers won't get wealthy on recalls.

The original parts were pretty darn good lines- its a little freaky to hear about a few vibration failures on them. But the replacements are extremely well fabricated with reinforcing sleeves on the key parts of the stainless line.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Brselman - this may not be the dealer's doing. When I first heard about the brake line issue last spring I got hold of the actual text and it showed that my bike (2009, built in Aug 2008) was covered. I called my dealer and they ran the VIN through, no hit. I called a couple of other times over the summer and still no hit. I received the letter last fall and by that time my VIN was in the system. So BMW may have been trickling the VINs into the system.

And, as I recall, this was a voluntary recall, not a NHTSA-mandated one, so they could have set their own schedule.

I think we have all had enough examples of crappy service where the dealer could have made things right. This one may have been BMW-NA's shortcoming.

JayJay

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JayJay-

That certainly is a POSSIBLE explanation. Again all I can say is Kudos to Mortons of Fredericksburg, VA for picking up the missed voluntary recall and spending so much time with me...at BMW's expense! I would highly recommend them if you are in the area!

brselman

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
brselman said:
Again all I can say is Kudos to Mortons of Fredericksburg, VA for picking up the missed voluntary recall and spending so much time with me...at BMW's expense! I would highly recommend them if you are in the area!
Yet another example of why I've only dealt with Morton's for the last 30 years.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sounds like Morton's is a place to definitely patronize. It's great that you have that asset, and whenever reasonable we should support our local dealers. Unfortunately, it's about 2800 miles and one full USA-width from where I live, so it may be a while.

Waxing philosophical for a bit, I wish all dealers realized that in addition to making a big chunk (if not most) of their profits, their service is what really sells the shop. I'm delighted with the sales and parts operations at my local dealer, but my experience with the service department unfortunately has been mixed - which is a lot of the reason I do my own work. No warm fuzzies. When I had my brake line replaced on recall I had the shop do the PM flush front and rear brake lines as well (I know my limits, and ABS systems are beyond them). When I asked why I was being charged full labor for the front brake flush since they had to do it anyhow with the replacement brake line, they told me that the brake line replacement didn't include bleeding/flushing because it didn't introduce air into the system. How one replaces a several foot long brake line without bleeding the system is beyond me - and kind of scary, frankly. I'm not convinced that they didn't bill me and BMW for the same time.

Having said that, the quality of what work that I've had done there has been fine, it's just the condescending attitude (this wasn't the first time that I've had a "we do it because we can and you're an idiot for questioning" experience with their shop) that irritates me. I really expected more of a partnership feeling than an adversary.

OK, off soap box. For now.

JayJay

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JayJay-

I cannot agree with you more as to the importance of good customer relations from all aspects of a dealer. Years ago, Acura in Johnson City, TN lost a deal with me to Harper Acura in Knoxville because I could not stand the attitude of the former.

More recently I have had a major electrical problem with a new Triumph Street Triple R that I have not been able to use since mid November. The local dealer (not the one I purchased it from since I moved after the purchase) just kept blowing me off, not returning calls, etc. Wonderful customer relations, I should say. This issue is only now being settled because of the intervention of Triumph America.

I tend to be a very loyal customer and am willing to pay more to support local shops if I feel like I am being treated with respect and fairly. Seems to me that should be a credo of business in general. Would be for me if I were in business. :dance: :dance: :dance:

brselman

·
Registered
989 Posts
Register your VIN

I suggest to call BMW North America at 800-831-1117 and register your VIN and address with them. That way, if there is a recall, the notices will be sent to the correct address (plus, they can tell any outstanding recalls over the phone).

I've done it with every used BMW bike I purchased in last 10 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts