BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My riding partner and I are in the planning stages of another summer trip. This time were going from Atlanta to Glacier National Park. Our last two trips took us to Yellow stone and the Teton’s with side trips to Texas and the Michigan UP. These trips have both been over 6K miles and, with minor issues, my LT performed just perfectly.

However, after my last trip I brought the bike into the dealer for maintenance and the tech found about two tablespoons of oil in the FD boot. The tech said the oil was coming from the FD and not the transmission. Further, he said the leak in the seals was not bad enough to change them –yet.

The bike is an ’05 with about 25K miles and I’ve been scrupulous with maintenance. According to the stats and the mileage, I’m beyond the highest risk point for a FD failure. But the seal leak has me concerned.

Before a major trip I have all preventative maintenance performed.
New tires
Flush and change clutch and brake fluids.
Oil and filters
Connect to the computer and see if everything is in order

I have not drilled a weep hole for the clutch and I’m wondering if this would be a good idea.

Any and all other suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Smith
‘05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC

·
Registered
240 Posts
Smith,

I'm in the same boat. preparing for a long trip, same year, mileage etc.

Sorry I dont know the answers to your questions, but I'm interested in the response.

Dale

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same seal leak on my FD. Did not cause any issues but I changed it as soon as it was found. Not worth the risk for the money especially before a trip. weep hole is always a good good idea . this will allow you to enjoy your trip with less concerns. Priceless.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had exactly the same puddle of oil after a couple of long trips last year, maybe a teaspoon, not enough to worry about. I pull the boot back every now and then just to make sure its not getting worse.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts