BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Hey Waldo, the first thing you need to determine is, where is the oil coming from. Oil pooling in the boot can come from the final drive seal or the transmission output shaft seal at the other end of the drive shaft. Check the swing arm for any signs of oil running down from up front. Even with removing the swing arm to get at it, the output shaft seal is easier than the pinion seal on the FD which requires some special non hardening thread sealant and some hefty jigs and tools to remove and replace the seal. The castle ring actually has the seal inside it and is tightened to 87 Ft Lb but the pinion nut is a whopping 147.5 Ft Lb. Here is a picture of the tools I made to rebuild my FD. The castle socket I welded additional metal to the tabs so they had a better bite. It was the only castle socket I could find so there might be a better fitting one that wouldn't need any modification. I welded up some angle iron to bolt the ring gear and housing together so I could get the 87 and 147 Ft Lb I needed while standing on it on the floor. If the bearing is smooth, I would not remove it as it requires a good bit of heat on the case to get it to release. I damaged the first one I removed and had to wait for a replacement to arrive.

Gas stove Cooktop Gas Kitchen stove Kitchen

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
My pinion shaft seal was leaking or so I thought which is why I pulled it apart but I found that the spindle nut was finger loose most likely from a previous disassembly where someone thought that Good N Tight was tight enough and did not use the proper torque specs. I would give that a check before you pull it totally apart, you may be able to just pull the castle nut and spindle nut and reassemble that. If you want the best in the business for a FD rebuild, that would be Saddleman and we can get you two in touch if you want to go that way. There are several other things you should look for if you are going to do it yourself and the measurement window for proper shim setup is about 4 thousandths of an inch. Dave does a full rebuild and gear setup and has the tools to do it right. Besides myself, I would not trust anyone else to do it for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts