BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing 12K maintenace on my 09 RT and when I opened the airbox to replace the air filter, found some oil at the bottom of air box...normal I take it? My first RT and in comparing to my 09 Ultra Vtwin air filter, I do find a small amount of oil at the bottom of the air filter--due to air breather tubes...

RT's oil level is at the correct mark when checked on centerstand level surface.

DC
09 RT
09 Ultra

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
First question: how dirty was the air filter. (if the filter is plugged off enough, the system will try to get air where ever it can; if that means the crank case, then that's where the oil probably came from).

Second question: has the bike been down for a nap lately. (could be residual oil from the piston skirts. could also be residual oil from leaning it onto the side stand before allowing the oil to drain from the skirts.)

If it wasn't really showing up as 'low oil', then my take is your probably OK........$0.02..... :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The oil in a Harley Air Filter is common since the breather line is right there and so close to the crankcase..

Not so much on the BMW with the cylinders being so far away. Having said that- it is still not a big deal. Like he said- was the air filter dirty? If so that could be it.

In any case... clean it. Install a new filter. Record the mileage of your service and ride on.

When you next do a service- take a look. I bet its clean.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the air filter was "super" dirty when I took it out last night...There was not really a "lot" of oil, just a film at the very bottom of the air box...could also have happened from a controlled "short" nap from the past from the previous owner...it now makes sense...

I am amazed at the the design and size the RT air box...looks like this air box can take a lot of air and pump it into the intake with lots of volume, no wonder this thing can "fly"....my Ultra pales in comparison to this bike.

Since I have taken the "tupperware" out for some mods, I can't help but admire the overall mechanical design of the RT...hopefully I can put all the parts back together...LOL

Thanks for all your response..

DC
09 RT
09 Ultra

1 - 4 of 4 Posts