BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I only use ************* in my LT and MB 350.
What kind of tires do you have? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
The oil that I think you're referring to is A.M.S.O.I.L (presumably blocked out on this forum because some people sell the stuff in some sort of agency system) and there are several people I have read about on this board who have used it and seem very happy with it. There are very few true synthetics, this is one, M.O.B.I.L 1 is another. Others are dino oils that claim to be synthetic through a loophole in the way oils are formulated (Castrol etc etc).

For what it's worth, Beemerboneyard.com sells a German full synthetic 15W-50 that looked pretty good - I'm trying that one out in this round of oil change, wanting to support vendors that help this site.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OMG, another oil thread :rolleyes: Be aware that ****** motorcycle oil is formulated for wet clutch, the LT has a dry clutch. There is a lot written about this in the archives.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Just go to Wally World & buy your favorite flavor of automotive oil & put 3.8 quarts in the LT & drink the rest. Now back to Gillies question "What tire do you have"? :D

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
katnapinn said:
Just go to Wally World & buy your favorite flavor of automotive oil & put 3.8 quarts in the LT & drink the rest. Now back to Gillies question "What tire do you have"? :D
I'm assuming that this thread will soon be in the Humor section, so as long as it's already hijacked and we're on tires, what about nitrogen in them?

I've been using a 80/20 Nitrogen to Air blend and some are trying to convince me to switch to 100%. Would it be the same for a K1600GTL?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
SHELL says that they put Nitrogen in their gasoline, maybe that will help :histerica

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
DanDiver said:
I'm assuming that this thread will soon be in the Humor section, so as long as it's already hijacked and we're on tires, what about nitrogen in them?

I've been using a 80/20 Nitrogen to Air blend and some are trying to convince me to switch to 100%. Would it be the same for a K1600GTL?
NO NO NO Do Not do it !!!!
Put ONLY Helium in the K1600 tyres. It will extend tyre life 100 fold. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
912 Posts
He? I assume we have hit the humor section now.

100% Nitrogen versus the 78% the rest of us use? It seems to be more marketing than solution. But its up to you.

My tires are too often about 2 lbs down to both with anything but what is in my compressor.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
So... what kind of gasoline do you all use? I favor ******* or ******* while on the road. And I only pump 91 or above. Youse guys? ;)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
katnapinn said:
NO NO NO Do Not do it !!!!
Put ONLY Helium in the K1600 tyres. It will extend tyre life 100 fold. :rolleyes:
They already have helium in them, that is why the 1600 is lighter than the 1200. :D

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I have the not-to-be-mentioned oil in my 04 LT as i type. Seems to have been just fine, and it was cheaper than other synthetics.

I ran Royal Purple motorcycle oil the previous two oil changes, and the engine SEEMED to be smoother and maybe a tad stronger than the BMW Synthetic before it. I just don't like spending $18 a quart, when there are other decent options that do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Mine always seemed to run faster and smoother after a good wash and wax. SUV does too!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
DanDiver said:
Mine always seemed to run faster and smoother after a good wash and wax. SUV does too!
Mine always runs faster with BMW oil because of how much lighter my wallet is. ;)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
saddleman said:
Mine always runs faster with BMW oil because of how much lighter my wallet is. ;)
Is your wallet made of the same leather Rick Mayer uses to build our saddles?:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts