BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the part # of the Bosch oil filter for K1200LT bikes? Is this available at auto supply stores? One here has Bosch filters for $6.99.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
budzee said:
What is the part # of the Bosch oil filter for K1200LT bikes? Is this available at auto supply stores? One here has Bosch filters for $6.99.
Bosch # 72161

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
you can also order a K&N oil filter # 163 from Auto Zone if you like.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
72161 available from Rock Auto for about $3.50 ea.
I believe the 3330 has a coating that may not do well submerged in the LT sump......
(if you use the 72161, be sure to remove the sticker before installing)

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you get the Bosch filter from beemerboneyard they graciously remove the sticker and stick it on the box for you - that's customer service.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used the Bosch #72161 from Rock Auto and bought two at the time. I then went to the local Fleet-Farm (Man's Mall!) and took my Bosch filter in to see about a filter wrench to remove the old. I found a CTA RiteFit #A251 wrench that fit perfectly and had a thin sidewall that fits inside the sump on my LT. It was $1.99 on sale and made of steel, not plastic. www.ctatools.com

Now the interesting part. While there I checked the Bosch and Purolator filter books and saw that the Purolator oil filter #L10241 was the listed filter in each book. So I took at look at the Purolator filter and guess what? They are exactly identical except the Bosch is black and the Purolator is white. :confused:

Now I'm not talking that they looked close. They were identical! They both had the same crimps, exterior and when I looked inside, both were identical to include the numbers stamped on the interior where the threads were (3 4 16 L). I mean that they have the same welds and stampings inside, outside and were manufactured at the same place! :thumb:

The Purolator was under $3.00 and I was able to just pick it up and walk out the door without shipping or a wait. Sure the Purloator is painted a different color but with everything on these filters identical except the color of the paint, I'm sure they use the same type of paints.

Now I'm for using quality parts but the only difference is the name and exterior paint. I see no reason why I won't use a Purolator when I change next time. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts