BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Don,
I know a little French, a tiny bit of Spanish, but you must be speaking "girl" or something? ;) What the heck does that Purolator thing mean?
Keir

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
It's one of the filters that fit the LT.

Best from hot Tucson.

Bob

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It is commonly stated that one should not use any filter that is painted in the LT, since it sits in oil, often hot, for it's entire life. Rumor is that the paint could soften and peel off, causing a lot of problems. However, I have not yet seen PROOF that it has really happened, but considering the relatively small cost difference per mile of riding I would not take a chance. Also rumors that the bypass valving in aftermarket filters may not be what BMW designed the engine for, another reason to just pay the difference and use the correct filter in the first place. If you save $10 over the recommended 6,000 mile oil change, that is pretty darned inconsequential.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
dshealey said:
It is commonly stated that one should not use any filter that is painted in the LT, since it sits in oil, often hot, for it's entire life. Rumor is that the paint could soften and peel off, causing a lot of problems. However, I have not yet seen PROOF that it has really happened, but considering the relatively small cost difference per mile of riding I would not take a chance. Also rumors that the bypass valving in aftermarket filters may not be what BMW designed the engine for, another reason to just pay the difference and use the correct filter in the first place. If you save $10 over the recommended 6,000 mile oil change, that is pretty darned inconsequential.
I could see a problem with the label coming off a filter & plugging the oil pump pickup screen but the little paint particles should just go thru the pump & get stopped by the filter before entering the engine. After all that is what the filter is for.
I use the bosch filters & remove the label before I install it. I don't worry about the paint because the chips are soft enough to not hurt the oil pump.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Purolator ML16825 has a cross reference to BMW (11 42 1 460 845) filter and is also not painted.
All the BMW filters that I have used were painted, or looked painted. So who knows?.

DON

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
donsobeck said:
The Purolator ML16825 has a cross reference to BMW (11 42 1 460 845) filter and is also not painted.
All the BMW filters that I have used were painted, or looked painted. So who knows?.

DON
Don,
I used the Purolator Pure One until they started putting the sure grip coating on them. I have never been able to find the ML16825 but would not hesitate to use them as long as they do not have the sure grip coating on them.

I also change oil every 3,000 miles and have never had any paint flaking problem yet.

Like others have stated. If the label will peel off remove it prior to installation on the bike.

Roy

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you're able to buy the BMW filters in bulk, you're usually not going to save any money by using an aftermarket filter, and additionally, you're usually not going to get a better filter either...at least that what previous oil filter threads here have suggested....by stating that the BMW filter will remove particles to 5 microns, while many aftermarket filters are rated at around 20 microns. I'll be sicking with the OEM Filter, bought in bulk (6 packs) for about $13/per. Sorry, but after all, it's just an oil filter for cryin' out loud. I personally don't expect any performance gains from using anything other than the OEM oil filter. Air filter?...maybe, but that's a whole 'nother, and highly debated, subject...not unlike the "which oil is best"!! Cheers, Toolman

·
Registered
437 Posts
I ordered and use the BOSCH oil filters from Beemer Boneyard.......the 72161's. I just got off the phone with Bosch...asking them to what particulate size does this filter screen out. They couldn't answer me......said that their filters are manufactured to the mfg specifications, and that I'd have to call that particular vehicle manufacturer and ask them what their requirements are.

I can't believe that they don't have a chart of some sort telling them/us this information. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
fpmlt said:
Anyone using these: http://www.perf-form.com/products.htm#of0005

I find their advertised claims interesting, and am considering using one.
I just called and talked with somebody at this place......and was told that these filters screen out particulates from 4 to 22 microns (?????). Why the wide variance I do not know. I do know that I won't be using them.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
PATTERSON said:
I just called and talked with somebody at this place......and was told that these filters screen out particulates from 4 to 22 microns (?????). Why the wide variance I do not know. I do know that I won't be using them.
part of the reason is that the efficiency of the filter at a given particle or micron size is how filters are supposed to be rated. A 10 micron filter and will remove some 4 micron particles but not all of them. A 4 micron filter should remove 95% or of 4 micron or larger particles on the first pass of oil. Hence it would remove particles from 4 - 22 micron.

Rule of thumb for hydraulics is:
10 micron for most components up to 3,000 PSI
3-5 micron for proportion or Servo valves and higher pressures.

Roy

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
PATTERSON said:
I ordered and use the BOSCH oil filters from Beemer Boneyard.......the 72161's. I just got off the phone with Bosch...asking them to what particulate size does this filter screen out. They couldn't answer me......said that their filters are manufactured to the mfg specifications, and that I'd have to call that particular vehicle manufacturer and ask them what their requirements are.

I can't believe that they don't have a chart of some sort telling them/us this information. Unbelievable.
Bosch filters in a 6 pack from Beemer Boneyard Here too. That's $8.50 per filter plus shipping and you get a free $15.00 oil filter wrench. Over 40,000 miles using them with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I took my bmw oil filter into Advanced Auto Parts & asked if they had a wrench to fit it. Wall-a! $5.95

·
Registered
408 Posts
dshealey said:
The BMW oil filter does have a unique fine mesh screen that will filter any oil when the filter is in bypass mode. I've cut open several oil filters and have never seen that before. In most oil filters, when the bypass valve opens, unfiltered oil enters your engine!!! In addition, the bypass valve has a fairly strong spring and thus would not open until a high differential pressure occured across the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Two terms: nominal and absolute. All filters use a range between nominal, their target size of restriction, and absolute, or what they guarentee can't get through. Just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I use Amsoil 5 micron filters.

Cheaper then BMW and have used them on cars and bikes for many years.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts