BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First filter change on newly-acquired 2000 LT. Filter tool/wrench would unseat and spin
under the pressure from trying to loosen.
No real room for the piercing with screwdriver method. Sure didn't want to pull the oil pan.

Frustrated. Took a break for a Whopper and a cold one. Took a nap. Woke up with an idea.

Drilled four holes through the filter tool/wrench about an inch out from the 3/8" square hole.
Mated the tool to the stuck filter. Drove 4 deck screws up into the filter through the filter tool/wrench. Removed filter with 3/8" drive. Boy, was it on tight. The screws held the filter tool/wrench snug and provided even more structure to loosen the filter.

Had not heard of this method before and it sure worked well!

Mark

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Sounds like a great idea Mark!

There have been several filters stuck over the years but your method is different than those mentioned before.

Make sure the rubber gasket came off with the old filter before you go back in with the new one.

Ron

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
mabden said:
First filter change on newly-acquired 2000 LT. Filter tool/wrench would unseat and spin
No real room for the piercing with screwdriver method. Sure didn't want to pull the oil pan.

Frustrated. Took a break for a Whopper and a cold one. Took a nap. Woke up with an idea.

Drilled four holes through the filter tool/wrench about an inch out from the 3/8" square hole.
Mated the tool to the stuck filter. Drove 4 deck screws up into the filter through the filter tool/wrench. Removed filter with 3/8" drive. Boy, was it on tight. The screws held the filter tool/wrench snug and provided even more structure to loosen the filter.

Mark

Great idea! I will file this away in my mind for future use,
Thank you for sharing, Robert.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good job on getting the filter off Mark. Sounds like someone didn't lubricate the filter gasket and over torqued the filter during installation..
mabden said:

Mark

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,072 Posts
Often the stamped steel filter wrenches are not the optimal size. I have gone to the machined aluminum that fit both the LT and the GS filers. But before I did that is would put a few strips of heavy paper in the filter wrench and that would usually do it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see now that a Senior Member discovered this method more than a year ago.
Great minds......

Mark

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Great success.
You sounded so casual. A bite to eat and a cold one, you even took a nap :histerica I was pining over mine for a year and finally did my 1st a couple weeks ago. Had no issues though with much help from the forum. Now I can talk about it. Did the screwdriver trick on the cars a couple of times.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, I got that one from the K100 Forum (aforumfree.com). I write on there as Dennis. My filter tool doesn't properly fit the Ryco Z418 filter so I just default to using 2 tech screws all the time. A bit messy but no big deal. By the way, the Ryco oil filter bypass valve opens at 15 psi (pressure drop across the paper), whereas the BMW filter is stated to be 21 psi in the manual. Not reallly an issue though I think, as long as the filter isn't left in place for extended periods between oil changes. It does mean though, that when cold, the bypass valve may be open for longer than with the BMW filter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Always been partial to the hand tight school. On by hand - off by hand. never had a problem From one cylinder Lister's, the LT, Goldwings and other car's and bike's to multi-filter sea goin Jimmy's and Deeres

·
Premium Member
7,858 Posts
mabden said:

Mark
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I've known of that technique for at least 35 years. :)

It is very effective, but I generally try sand paper inside the filter wrench first as that also usually works and is less messy than drilling into the filter.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Voyager said:
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but I've known of that technique for at least 35 years. :)

It is very effective, but I generally try sand paper inside the filter wrench first as that also usually works and is less messy than drilling into the filter.
Like you, sandpaper in the wrench for those very rare times when the filter is stuck has always worked for me and not quite so messy. But, as long as the end results in a removed filter, any method to get there is a winner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hazet makes the correct tool to end oil filter battles once and for all. It's aluminum and designed for K bikes. Once you have the right tool for the job, you will not have to Rube-Goldberg your bike any longer. Bob's in Maryland used to stock them.

Regards,

Will

·
Registered
476 Posts
This can and sometimes (actually fairly often it seems) does happen with filters installed even when the seal is oiled before installation. Usually inserting paper into the filter removal tool gets it dome, bu 2-4 screws should do it every time. I just read an old post last week with this idea, and it's impressive you came up with it on your own - kudos for being creative and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I now use K&N Filter #163 and won't have that problem anymore or the problem of having a special wrench to remove or install the new filter. The filter has a nut on the end and you can use either an adjustable wrench, socket or standard open/closed end wrench.

Attachments

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
mabden said:

Mark
This filter wrench comes with the holes pre-drilled and ships with the screws -

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=71218

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
As a reminder. The filter does not have to be very tight on the LT. Two finger tight is enough. A little oil on the oil filter's O-ring, finger tight and then put on the cover. That too (three screws) not tight either. The O-ring on the cover compresses a little keeping the oil from dripping.

·
Premium Member
7,858 Posts
As a reminder. The filter does not have to be very tight on the LT. Two finger tight is enough. A little oil on the oil filter's O-ring, finger tight and then put on the cover. That too (three screws) not tight either. The O-ring on the cover compresses a little keeping the oil from dripping.
+1. Way more fasteners fail from being over tightened than under tightened!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts