BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an Oil Change on my 2010. Per some advise on this Forum I went with a bosch 3330 oil filter. The issue I have is that the bike appears to have plenty of oil in it (4 quarts of Castrol 4T 20/50), but my oil indicator is coming on every now and again. Perhaps I just need a bit more oil, but since this is a non standard filter I want to make sure that I am no screwing something up.

Ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had the oil changed at the dealer. When the tech came back from his test drive the oil light was on. He took it apart and said the filter was loose causing a drop in pressure which made the light come on. Maybe thats it

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Nice, a 20 grand motorcycle and you save $4 on the filter. Now there is something going on with the oil pressure. Not saying it's related but gee whizz. :confused: Go by the sight glass after the bike has been ridden and on the stand for a while. Be sure to check that the old filter gasket came out with the old filter. Not good to have two gaskets in there. And, good thing you do your own work, a great way to see what is going on with the bike. If there is no definite reason for the oil light to flicker you now need to put in an OEM filter to see what is up, and prove it was or was not the filter. And last but not least, a 2010 may still be under warranty, a non OEM filter will leave you way out on the ledge if something goes wrong with the engine due to oil issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You're are right. I also put $13Ams_Oil n the final drive instead of the $50/quart Castrol the dealer wanted me to buy. I did a little more research on this, I will replace the filter with a KN-164. I got the Bosch filter PN# from this site and from only 1 person. It probably works, but there are hundreds of people that are using the KN-164 on ADVrider without issue.
There were no gasket issues, I was pretty careful when I did it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The Castrol oil for the final drive was first speced out around 2006 when BMW said the final drive was lubed for life. This is a long lasting GT5 gear oil intended to be in there for the life of the bike. As we all know this was bogus. But, since the new maintenance schedule is now every two years the factory still recomends that specific Castrol gear oil. I personally feel you can use any good dyno or syn GT5 gear oil. I use Chevron Syn Tec 75W90. As long as it mets the call out spec in the back of the owners manual you can't go wrong. If you want the fancy Castrol Sxxx go to the Land Rover dealer and get it for about $20. But there are plenty good ones. I just have a switch to flip about OEM filters. I spent years in the engine rooms of ships and changed many hundreds of fuel, water and lube oil filters. Port engineers want to save a buck and would come up with off brand cheap filters. There is a reason the manufacturer did not use them. Take a hack saw or disk cutter and open up a stock filter and one of your choice that fits. Generally there is quite a difference in filter media and only mother nature knows what the relief valve is set at or the micron rating of the filter media.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Which light was on, the yellow low level or the red low pressure?
If it was the yellow low level indicator I'm not sure how the filter would cause that.

The post regarding the loose oil filter causing low pressure, well yeah you would loose pressure but you would also cover your bike in oil.
The things dealers come up with :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
64deville said:
I just had the oil changed at the dealer. When the tech came back from his test drive the oil light was on. He took it apart and said the filter was loose causing a drop in pressure which made the light come on. Maybe thats it
That was a problem with K1200RS bikes with the filter inside the engine, but as noted you would be seriously aware of it on an R bike. Wonder what the issue was. And as pointed out the yellow light is not the same or as serious as the red.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
New2rt said:
The post regarding the loose oil filter causing low pressure, well yeah you would loose pressure but you would also cover your bike in oil.
FYI the oil filter is immersed inside the crankcase oil sump...

·
Registered
729 Posts
beech said:
That was a problem with K1200RS bikes with the filter inside the engine, but as noted you would be seriously aware of it on an R bike. Wonder what the issue was. And as pointed out the yellow light is not the same or as serious as the red.
Good point about the filter in the sump and covered and I have an LT.
Based on his avatar it's also an LT so that makes sense, swing and a miss on my part.

·
Registered
729 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
FYI the oil filter is immersed inside the crankcase oil sump...
Yeah I finally figured that out but it was a hell of a curve ball, LT in RT forum.
Swing batter batter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New2rt said:
Which light was on, the yellow low level or the red low pressure?
If it was the yellow low level indicator I'm not sure how the filter would cause that.

It wasnt a light, it just said "Oil" on the LCD display.

·
Registered
729 Posts
flienlow said:
Does it have a check mark after it?
Looks like you are in the oil check mode of the display, this would be normal.
Check your OM for more information on how this process works.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
New2rt, good call, nothing like reading the instructions. :histerica

·
Registered
56 Posts
flienlow said:
When the display is in TPS mode, at rest, the display will read "Oil" _ _ _, then a check mark will appear if all is ok. You're good, ride on.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Skidmarc said:
When the display is in TPS mode, at rest, the display will read "Oil" _ _ _, then a check mark will appear if all is ok. You're good, ride on.....
I am having this exact issue right now on my 2011RT, called the dealer and asked the mechanic if I should be concerned and can I still ride the motorcycle without causing damages. His response was that if it's only the Check Mark, not to worry and enjoy the nice weather, they will look at it at my next service interval in July.

Level in the window is perfect and no Yellow or Red Exclamation Warning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts