BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the oil on a 2008 LT I bought last fall and have found that one bolt interferes with the center stand. So I am unable to finish the oil change. Do i need to put the bike on the side stand and then loosen the center stand? What else can i do?

need some help,

thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
center stand or skid plate?

Got a pic?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the skid plate just to access the third bolt to the filter lid. I can back the bolt out almost all the way. then it interferes with a centerstand support member.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
acuningham said:
I removed the skid plate just to access the third bolt to the filter lid. I can back the bolt out almost all the way. then it interferes with a centerstand support member.
Um, I've probably done 30 oil changes on 2 LT's in 200K miles on the center stand and I don't ever remember having any of the issues you mention... :think: Perhaps the power center stand is the issue? (mine didn't have it)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the 2008 has the power center stand. I am sure it is related. I am thinking to take the bike off the center stand and use the side stand and see if there is still some interference.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is this what you a referring to?

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 2005 which has the power center stand and I have no problem doing the oil change. Remove the skid plate and should have no problems.

Must be something else there.

Bowdon

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2009 which has the power center stand and I have no problem doing the oil change. Removed the skid plate and no problems.
I have changed the oil and filter twice. No issues.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am at work today so do not have a picture of the interference. I removed the skid plate to get to the bolt. So your picture does not describe the problem. thanks for sending it. At this time i cannot remove the bolt behind the skid plate. I am going to try again this evening.

alex

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
After removing the skid plate cover (two allens and two 10mm nuts) there can still be some interference if the skid plate frame has impacted something. You can just loosen the two rear bolts in the frame a small amount while still on the center stand to get enough clearance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Not the Center stand bolts (four in the main CS frame) just the two bolts in the recesses at the rear of the skid plate frame (bolts go into the CS cradle).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It seems I'm liking my '02 even more now. I've never had to remove anything other than the drain bolt and the 3 sump cover bolts to change my oil and they're all easily gotten to, even with a skid plate.

The only thing I've had to move under there is that muffler bracket when changing the transmission oil. It's definitely in the way. Is it your transmission oil you're changing?

·
Registered
498 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
It seems I'm liking my '02 even more now. I've never had to remove anything other than the drain bolt and the 3 sump cover bolts to change my oil and they're all easily gotten to, even with a skid plate.

The only thing I've had to move under there is that muffler bracket when changing the transmission oil. It's definitely in the way. Is it your transmission oil you're changing?
+1

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
blueknightga6 said:

Something else must have happened to his bike as I have no problem removing the cover bolts on my 2007 LT. one does have to remove the sheet metal skid plate, but once that is off the bolt will come out. It is close and can be a little of a pain to get the wrench in there, but the bolt itself will clear. It sounds like something on that bike has been bent or assembled wrong.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Voyager said:
Something else must have happened to his bike as I have no problem removing the cover bolts on my 2007 LT. one does have to remove the sheet metal skid plate, but once that is off the bolt will come out. It is close and can be a little of a pain to get the wrench in there, but the bolt itself will clear. It sounds like something on that bike has been bent or assembled wrong.
Not on mine either but I have seen a few that must have hit something (speed bump) and were bent upwards at the front. It wouldn't take much to do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You simply need to round the head off one of the 3 screws that hold the cover plate on,, all 3 come out OK,, when you try to re install them 1 will not clear going back in. Simply roll the head across a benchgrinder ever so slightly and you will see it clears going back in.. Be carefull not to let the benchgrinder grab it and toss it across your garage.. It put red fingernail polish on that one..

·
Registered
426 Posts
On my 05, there is one bolt on the cover to the oil filter that just hits the frame tube (or what ever it is) with just a few threads left. Just work it out with my fingers and it is fine. Same going back it, a bit of patience and a little wiggle, it starts and then hand tight up til the wrench will fit.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
And the two bolts in the skid plate are longer than the 3 bolts in the oil filter cover. If they were mixed up for some odd reason, it would be too long to come out past the centerstand. The short bolt barely clears as it is. ........ :confused:

·
Registered
594 Posts
OMG! After reading this am I wondering what is the powered center stand really needed for? Is it really worth enough to compensate the extra weight, all extra problems it brings with it! I could not imagine it interferes even to oil change :mad:

Always had an opinion LT being one of the easiest bikes (I have had) to put on a center stand and I am wondering all the comments of people not "daring" to lift it on it? Does not compute... Perhaps I just have had too heavy bikes or bikes with extremely bad center of gravity.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts