BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to change my oil for the first time and have a question about the parts in the kit.
the two small rings in the kit , what are they for?

I understand everything else. Just need ti know what the two small rings of for.

Thanks
Frank

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The soft metal rings are called Crush Washers... or Crush "Gaskets"...

They are of a soft metal that will crush a little bit when tightened and you will have no leaks.

Use the Crush Washer that is of the correct size for your drain plug. When you remove the old drain plug, you will see one there. Pull it off and match the new one to the same size. Just put the new Crush Washer on the now-cleaned drain plug and screw it in. You do not need to lubricate the crush washer.

One other tip... the filter itself will have a rubber ring gasket. Be sure the old one comes off when you remove the filter. Sometimes... especially on new bikes or on bikes serviced by someone who got excited and over tightened the filter... the old one will stick to the underside of the motor. You might not see the old one still there, and you might put the new filter with its own new rubber gasket in place. No real problem cept that they gaskets do not seal and you wonder why you have an oil leak.

And... be sure to take the new oil and rub a little oil around the new rubber gasket...

When they say to tighten the new filter and gasket to hand tight... they mean it. I run my filter in by hand till I get the moderately tight feel... then a quarter to half turn more... no more than that is needed.

Never had a leak.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
they are used to keep your drain plug from leaking.

please re-read my post

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
fcott1 said:
So what are the two little crush washers used for?
Just to clarify, you only use one crush washer on the drain plug. Maybe when they were assembling your kit they accidentally tossed in a second one. But you only use one.

One thing a lot of us do when changing the oil is to fill the new filter with fresh oil before screwing it on. Not only does it put the oil right where you need to rub it onto the gasket, it also avoids that couple of seconds early in the running where the oil is filling the filter but not getting circulated to the engine.

JayJay

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Since the original poster has clearly never changed oil on a BMW or any German automotive product, he should be advised that drain plug washers are always replaced and never reused on these vehicles. Indeed only one is used.

On every BMW motorcycle engine since the 1970s at least (can't speak for the Rotax engines) the drain plug requires an 8 mm inhex (allen) wrench.

And, since the original poster has neglected to identify his motorcycle, indeed the "kits" for Airheads (1970-1995) include some very tiny washers. These (one at a time) are for the screw covering the threads for inserting the special screw for opening the oil cooler thermostat. If the original poster indeed has an Airhead, suggest he get in-person help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, let me explain a little better. There is 3 crush washers 1 that goes on the plug we will call large. then there are two others that are about half the size of the large one. That is the ones i am not sure where they go. Are they for a different model bike or do they have a place to go on this bike K1200LT?

·
Registered
151 Posts
fcott1 said:
Are they for a different model bike or do they have a place to go on this bike K1200LT?
K1200 have different motor.
For sure filter will be different - K have higher filter
Not about gearbox - is it separate (like RT) or together with motor ?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
fcott1 said:
Ok, let me explain a little better. There is 3 crush washers 1 that goes on the plug we will call large. then there are two others that are about half the size of the large one. That is the ones i am not sure where they go. Are they for a different model bike or do they have a place to go on this bike K1200LT?

Well, then, moderator may want to move this post to the LT subforum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts