BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of after market oil filter that will fit a K1600, or a cross reference number to the OEM number?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
The aftermarket filters that I have found all cost the same as the OEM filter from BMW. I just bought the OEM from my local dealer for less then $16.00. The best I have found online for after market ones are over $20.00 shipped. Just for reference the same filter fits all R1200GS/RT/ST/S/R , K1200S/R/GT (2005 on), K1600GT/GTL & & S1000RR bikes.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
There are these:

BMW - 11 42 7 673 541
Walmart - ST3614
Fram PH6063
Purolator ML16825
Bosch - 3330
Advance AutoParts AA3614

All of these are good, adequate filters (even the Walmart).

I have used the BMW and Bosch on my RT; the Bosch run about$6 - $7 at Autozone. I'm going to assume that the K1600 still uses the common filter.

The CalSci site is a good recommendation.

Please note that they are all about an inch and a quarter longer than the BMW filter. To date, I have not found an 'exact' aftermarket replacement filter.

Now, all that said, my dealer charges $17 for the BMW filter, which is only about 28 cents a mile vs 12 cents a mile for the BMW filter :) . You might consider running the BMW filter for the first few changes. There shouldn't be any warranty issue, but...

Tom

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
12R12RT said:
Please note that they are all about an inch and a quarter longer than the BMW filter. To date, I have not found an 'exact' aftermarket replacement filter.

Tom
that is where the problem is with the K1600. The shifter is in front of the oil filter so a "Longer" one will NOT fit.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
katnapinn said:
that is where the problem is with the K1600. The shifter is in front of the oil filter so a "Longer" one will NOT fit.
Aha! That's a bummer! Good to know.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts