BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 k1200lt with electric center stand.
I just finished an oil change on my bike and I found that access to one of the 3 bolts that holds the oil filter cover on
is partially blocked by the center stand. Anyone else run into this?

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
You took off the skid plate?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
2008 k1200lt with electric center stand.
I just finished an oil change on my bike and I found that access to one of the 3 bolts that holds the oil filter cover on
is partially blocked by the center stand. Anyone else run into this?
Yes. When my LT was new, the rear bolt JUST cleared the tubular cross member. After I replaced my clutch, the bolt now hits. I am pretty sure there is slop in the mounting of the centerstand assembly and apparently I got on the wrong side of the slop so I now have to drop the EHCS to get that one bolt out. This winter, i plan to put the bike back on the lift where I can jack it up and remove the centerstand assembly and have someone hold pressure on it rearward as I install and torque the mounting bolts. Will do the same with the EHCS and hopefully that will get it back to factory condition where the bolt cleared the tube.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
It has hit something and bent it a little. Just loosen the two M8 bolts that hold that skid plate frame to the center stand assembly. It will move enough to clear the oil filter access.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
It has hit something and bent it a little. Just loosen the two M8 bolts that hold that skid plate frame to the center stand assembly. It will move enough to clear the oil filter access.
I am pretty sure mine didn’t hit anything. Mine changed after I had the centerstand off and back on. I am pretty sure that the mounting holes have enough play to let the centerstand be installed such that the EHCS tube either interferes or doesn’t. At least that is my theory and I hope to test it this winter. :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2005 LT. I loosened every mounting bolt associated with the center stand and was unable to move the assembly enough to clear the aft oil filter cover bolt. Mine was apparently bent, and badly, when I hit a hole in a parking lot that was 8 to 10 inches deep. But, the center stand continues to operate normally. I removed the oil filter cover and the bolt came out at such an angle that I feared thread damage. Looking for an answer, I found this thread and it ended without a clear solution. So, the LT sitting in my garage for a few days with no oil forced me to make a decision. I could remove the assembly and replace it with a new one, probably not worth it for a motorcycle with 108K. I could remove the assembly and take it to someone to possibly bend it enough to clear the bolt. Or, I could drill a hole into the front of the tubular member that would remove enough metal to allow the bolt to clear, about 1/8". Quick and easy, and not enough to weaken the assembly since the tubular member only connects the two longitudinal members and does not have much stress on it. I started with a 1/8" bit and increased to a 3/8" bit, the bolt will now clear. I finished my oil change and took the LT for a spin.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
That is a novel way to solve that issue.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2005 LT. I loosened every mounting bolt associated with the center stand and was unable to move the assembly enough to clear the aft oil filter cover bolt. Mine was apparently bent, and badly, when I hit a hole in a parking lot that was 8 to 10 inches deep. But, the center stand continues to operate normally. I removed the oil filter cover and the bolt came out at such an angle that I feared thread damage. Looking for an answer, I found this thread and it ended without a clear solution. So, the LT sitting in my garage for a few days with no oil forced me to make a decision. I could remove the assembly and replace it with a new one, probably not worth it for a motorcycle with 108K. I could remove the assembly and take it to someone to possibly bend it enough to clear the bolt. Or, I could drill a hole into the front of the tubular member that would remove enough metal to allow the bolt to clear, about 1/8". Quick and easy, and not enough to weaken the assembly since the tubular member only connects the two longitudinal members and does not have much stress on it. I started with a 1/8" bit and increased to a 3/8" bit, the bolt will now clear. I finished my oil change and took the LT for a spin.
I was fortunate that mine was resolved by loosening the mounting bolts for the centerstand, prying rearwards on the centerstand mount and then tightening the bolts again. Then again, my EHCS was not bent and my oil filter cover bolt had cleared the cross tube prior to my clutch replacement so I had good reason to suspect it was the tolerances in the mounting holes that had caused my problem.

Drilling the hole certainly weakens the tube substantially, particularly to a front impact, but if you never hit anything it should be fine. The hole will allow dirt and water to enter the tube which likely will rust it out as it is likely not coated on the inside and is just bare steel.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,168 Posts
That cross tube is already open on each end.

Reactions: Voyager
1 - 14 of 14 Posts