BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the three is stipped. Is a helicoil the best route to go? Is it an easy job to do myself, or let the dealer take care of it?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
SeaMarshal said:
One of the three is stipped. Is a helicoil the best route to go? Is it an easy job to do myself, or let the dealer take care of it?
I just happen to have a similar problem, in different location.
I would let the dealer do if you never done before.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Helicoil is good. Another option is to find another oil pan. 05's & up use a different oil pan than earlier models. No need to rush, I rode over 10,000 miles with only 2 screws & never lost a drop of oil. Never used a torque wrench on those sense, just finger tight with a small allen wrench. You might even get lucky by running a tap through it. Mine got stripped cause someone installed a short screw. The skid plate screw fits but is shorter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oil Filter Plate

The oil filter cover plate is attached to another plate that may be removed - 8 bolts?

Then the repair is made on a work bench by you or the shop.

I had a stripped bolt that a small easyout took care of. (no questions on who stripped the bolt please) Much easier removing the larger plate than standing bike upside down on handlebars! !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
heli-coil the best, next best; re-tap if you have enough material, back in the day before i knew better i stripped a few out aluminum blocks, heads etc...and re-tapped with a "slightly" larger tap and bolt. But you have to have plenty of meat to do that. Like Bluebayou said..better on a bench. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Permatex thread repair for the bolt hole. Works wonders. I think Meese or Dave Shealy had some stronger bolts if that's the problem...prbly a thread out there on it.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
+1 on Reid's suggestion.. if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything.

Just make SURE it's "CLEAN< CLEAN> CLEAN<!!!!"

Another option is to clean it and completely cover with epoxy PUTTY, then drill, tap. Because it's so shallow, you'll need a "bottom tap" to finish it cleanly..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts