BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last two oil changes have resulted in a slow leak from the cover. I change the o-ring every other change but it has now leaked with old o-ring and with new one. Last oil change I installed a set of Dave's super 12.9 bolts but it still leaks (I didn't expect the bolts to help, actually didn't expect it to leak with new gasket.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? My parking spot is starting to look like "Harley Davidsons Only" parking!

If I recall correctly, the leak started when I switched to synthetic....I've heard of it leaking from old engines but this thing only has 24K! And besides, isn't the o-ring supposed to take care of the seal?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
Russ,

It doesn't take stonger bolts to stop that leak. Most likely you have a small piece of dirt or other material in the o-ring groove. It needs to be absolutely clean. Another source is something stuck to the seat area on the sump. You may just have to pull it off and inspect it. The ears where those bolts go through could also have some debris preventing the o-ring from fully contacting the seat area.

When you place the cover on the sump you should see daylight everywhere but where the o-ring is and it should rotate freely (with out the bolts) and smoothly. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

Synthetic has nothing to do with this leak.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
McRuss said:
My last two oil changes have resulted in a slow leak from the cover. I change the o-ring every other change but it has now leaked with old o-ring and with new one. Last oil change I installed a set of Dave's super 12.9 bolts but it still leaks (I didn't expect the bolts to help, actually didn't expect it to leak with new gasket.)

Anyone else experiencing this problem? My parking spot is starting to look like "Harley Davidsons Only" parking!

If I recall correctly, the leak started when I switched to synthetic....I've heard of it leaking from old engines but this thing only has 24K! And besides, isn't the o-ring supposed to take care of the seal?
Sounds like either a scratched O-ring surface on either the pan or cover, or possibly a warped cover. Look for any scratches/scars in the sealing surfaces. If you do find one, it can be repaired by enlarging it some, and getting it REALLY clean, then putting epoxy (J-B Weld) in it and smoothing the surface so the O-ring can again seal.

I remember something on the BMW "big list" once about a leak someone had in an older K bike, and they found that one of the cover bolt holes had been either drilled through fully at the factory, or ran into a void in the casting, so oil was leaking slowly around the screw threads.

You are right, the stronger bolts are not to be used tighter than stock specs, and would not help a leak anyway. They are only to prevent heads breaking off at spec. or "slightly" tighter, as quite a few have done.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
What I thought was my o-ring leaking ended up being the rear main seal. But since your LT is a 05, it must be either a piece of dirt or metal shaving on either surface. Also, when I have the oil filter cover off, I clean (spray) it with brake cleaner (or electrical contact cleaner) while holding it above a trash can. The brake spray will clean the cover completely and will dry in seconds.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leaks

Thanks, guys. I'm going to drain and refill it this weekend, see what's going on under the o-ring.

I also have the rear drive seal leak! Keeps my drive shaft lubed nicely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Russ
I would exaine the cover to identify if it is warped, had mine replaced by the dealer only yesterday (7th) for exactly the same problem. The mechanic said it was a manufacturing fault and they replaced it free of charge. My LT is an 04 model and only covered 8000 miles.

Dave

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, mine was evidently caused by something under the O ring or a faulty O ring. I cleaned it VERY well, changed the O ring. No leak. And now I'm on my second oil change since and no leak. I used to replace the O ring every other change, now do it every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts