BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will likely generate some debate, but what brand oil filter do you use? I just purchased a "HIFLO" part number HF163. Any one use that brand/part number? Any opinions on quality? I don't cut corners on engine protection, but if the product is just as good and $5 cheaper than stock...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I buy the BMW filters in bulk.. 4 at a time from Chicago BMW. They give a 20% discount off list putting the filter just under $10 (I think). That way I don't have to worry if it is good enough or if the paint flakes off as the filter is in the oil sump.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just Changed Last Night

I tried the Purolator PL10241 filter last night. I've used the K&N and the BMW.

Read a fairly good report about the filter plus I got it at Advance Auto Parts on the way home!

Had them on the shelf, peel off decal on the filter.

$5.88 per filter :thumb:

·
Banned
588 Posts
I use the full synthetic nanofiber Amsoil EaOM122 motorcycle oil filter for $13.75 and change every 12,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
NAPA Gold 1348 for the last three years. Five bucks and never a problem.
Sounds like a winner there. Napa and Wix come out in the upper top % of all oil filter reviews I read. I used the Napa Gold on all my Harleys.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I also use the Bosch that beemerboneyard sells, but I get them from http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Price there now is 3.81 each plus shipping, so I order 12 at a time ( they fit my Toyota truck also)

Once at the site do a part number search for 72161 Bosch.

Rock auto 6 for $22.86 plus shipping
Beemerboneyard 6 for $43.95 plus shipping

Ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
jortberg said:
I tried the Purolator PL10241 filter last night. I've used the K&N and the BMW.

Read a fairly good report about the filter plus I got it at Advance Auto Parts on the way home!

Had them on the shelf, peel off decal on the filter.

$5.88 per filter :thumb:
I,am also using a Purolator PL 10241 in my ,06 12lt, this filter also fits my ,07 Toyota Solara ,very good reports on this filter.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I know Amsoil and their independent testing (Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, TX) shows their EaO automotive and EaOM motorcycle oil filters to be the best, so always looking for other comparison data to confirm this. About the only one I can find is from the below oil filtration/lubrication engineer. He posts on Speedzilla and Bob is the Oil Guy and both of these boards seem to agree with him and his studies.

"The Amsoil EaOM 138C oil filter is now available for our Ducati. This is the only fully synthetic/microglass oil filter element available and is the filter which enabled my Toyota Sequoia with 180,000 miles engine oil to test cleaner than new Mobil 1 out of the bottle. Unfortunately, to get the filter expedited, they had to put it on the end of a chrome filter run, so it is only available in chrome/bright finish... Maybe the next run will be black.. Oh well, there is always black spray paint...

This filter flows with 1/4 the restriction of a paper element, holds four times the dirt and is probably four times the cost of a paper element.. But it is the only oil filter which filters effectively to 10 microns (99.9997%), enabling a much less contaminated engine/transmission/clutch oil.

George Morrison, STLE CLS
(I am NOT an Amsoil Dist. Never have been; no affiliation whatever with Amsoil.. )"

·
Registered
453 Posts
This and other web sites list numerous cheap and expensive filters currently being used on the LT. Anyone out there ever have an oil filter failure or an engine failure proven related to an oil filter or even a brand of oil?

·
Banned
588 Posts
I haven't heard of any on the LT. But thousands of oil and oil filter related engine problems and failures on cars and trucks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sooooo......

So do all these recommended brands/part numbers work on all years of an LT?

I have a 2000LTC.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
KIC said:
So do all these recommended brands/part numbers work on all years of an LT?

I have a 2000LTC.

To the best of my knowledge, yes. The engine has been basically unchanged in that area. Same filter fits my 85 K100. Only true warning I know of is not to use any Fram filters with black textured sure grip coating.

NOTE: The only source I have seen for the filter cover O-ring has been through Beemerboneyard and possibly ******. I do not know if any of the Autoparts stores would have the O-ring available.

Roy

·
Banned
588 Posts
I don't think that part of the LT has changed. I had a 2000 and have a 2006. I know the Amsoil one works on all of them and assume the others do as well. I am not sure if the others just fit or were actually designed to meet or exceed the BMW LT specs with the proper by-bass valve pressure rating, burst strength, etc. If the bypass valve pressure rating is set too low, filtration will not occur. If set too high, it would not go into bypass mode if the filter gets restricted and starve the oil flow to the engine.

I think it is best to stick with a filter that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications, won't void a warranty, and has a full parts and labor warranty to pay for damages should the filter fail. Amsoil does this for all of their fluids and filters.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Sorry, but as one that has been in the Hi-Line Automotive Service and Parts business a long time...(when I started cars had drum brakes and carburetors) these conversations make my cringe.

The amount of money that in my opinion is wasted by buying products that offer no additional benefits but cost twice and more is staggering.

It is one thing if you take your bike or car to a franchised dealer (I manage one). We will use OEM parts and fluids and you will pay a premium price. You are paying the premium because you have the entire organization of that brand (in my case Mercedes Benz) behind you if something goes wrong. No need to debate why the engine failed, if you had it serviced at a dealer you will get help even outside of the stated warranty no matter where you are, at home or across the country. If your brakes fail and the dealer has done all the services your lawyer has some big organizations he can go after.

Totaly different scenario if you work on your own car or bike. You are on your own, period. And if you are careful and have educated yourselves it is a beautiful thing. You save a lot of money and you will be much more comfortable with your bike or car. And after you are past your initial learning and mistakes, it will be a lot of fun.

In that case use brand name parts and fluids that meet the specs and save lots of money. Does anybody seriously think,companies like Bosch, Castrol, Prestone and others would sell substandard items? Most their product are also rebranded and sold as OEM anyway.

My rule is: If it is a brandname and listed for the application, buy it and save. I have not seen a single case of failure of any kind due to using fluids or parts that met the above criteria.

Thats it for my $0.05.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Sorry, but as one that has been in the Hi-Line Automotive Service and Parts business a long time...(when I started cars had drum brakes and carburetors) these conversations make my cringe.

The amount of money that in my opinion is wasted by buying products that offer no additional benefits but cost twice and more is staggering.

It is one thing if you take your bike or car to a franchised dealer (I manage one). We will use OEM parts and fluids and you will pay a premium price. You are paying the premium because you have the entire organization of that brand (in my case Mercedes Benz) behind you if something goes wrong. No need to debate why the engine failed, if you had it serviced at a dealer you will get help even outside of the stated warranty no matter where you are, at home or across the country. If your brakes fail and the dealer has done all the services your lawyer has some big organizations he can go after.

Totaly different scenario if you work on your own car or bike. You are on your own, period. And if you are careful and have educated yourselves it is a beautiful thing. You save a lot of money and you will be much more comfortable with your bike or car. And after you are past your initial learning and mistakes, it will be a lot of fun.

In that case use brand name parts and fluids that meet the specs and save lots of money. Does anybody seriously think,companies like Bosch, Castrol, Prestone and others would sell substandard items? Most their product are also rebranded and sold as OEM anyway.

My rule is: If it is a brandname and listed for the application, buy it and save. I have not seen a single case of failure of any kind due to using fluids or parts that met the above criteria.

Thats it for my $0.05.
That's the best post I've seen in one of these oil threads in a LONG time.

You sure you're not trying to sell us MB Brand filters??;):D

1 - 20 of 87 Posts