BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k1200lt with an oil filler cap that has the nipple busted off so I can't turn it. I went to turn it and the ridge snapped off.. Its still tight in the hole and needs to be spun counterclockwise to get it out. 1) Is it a standard size so I can get one anywhere? 2) I intend to drill small holes and pry it out using levers ( round like a stuck oil filter, ) but if someone has a better idea, I am all ears. 3) Are other engines or manufacturers the same thread and diameter?

Oddly enough the Scottsdale dealer parts guy doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a k1200lt with an oil filler cap that has the nipple busted off so I can't turn it. I went to turn it and the ridge snapped off.. Its still tight in the hole and needs to be spun counterclockwise to get it out. 1) Is it a standard size so I can get one anywhere? 2) I intend to drill small holes and pry it out using levers ( round like a stuck oil filter, ) but if someone has a better idea, I am all ears. 3) Are other engines or manufacturers the same thread and diameter?

Oddly enough the Scottsdale dealer parts guy doesn't have a clue.
$6 for a replacement BMW OEM one.....Item 2 in the diagram

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51717&rnd=07242017

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I often use a pair of pliers to gently "lefty-loosy" this plug because it expands with engine temperature.
You might be able to turn it at it's outer circumference with some needle nose or other thinner pliers to remove it. As stated in the previous post, it is a replaceable part for for <$10 which is truly amazing for BMW!
This shows the part on the fiche https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51715&rnd=07242017

·
Registered
83 Posts
On Bobsbmw.com site, you can get one that is black anodized aluminum...pricier, but solid..

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
And remember to just barely snug the replacement cap. This does not need much torque to stay in place and seems to work itself tighter over time. i barely snug mine when I install it, yet it still is a pain to get loose. I have not yet had to resort to tools, but I can see if it was tightened hard even by hand, it would be a bear to get out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
With the tupperware (bodywork) removed, you will have enough access to remove it by tapping on a screwdriver held against what is left of the ridge. Place the screwdriver tangential to the cap, as close to the outer edge as possible. Keep the angle low. Use a light mallet instead of a BFH.
If you end up drilling it, try installing two screws such that you can twist on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts