BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I first start the bike up for the day, I get a small area of water and small black dots of what I believe to be oil underneath the end of the tail pipe.

It seems that once the bike is warmed up it goes away. I have 7 years of warranty on the bike so I am not worried, I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It is probably soot and water. If it dries up, it is probably water if it stays wet it is probably oil. Put something under it (non porous) and see.

I have not heard of oil out the exhaust, so, you're probably fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I originally thought soot as well and it does dry up so as always...

"Thanks to the ever knowing body of LT owners on this site"

I'd hate to think what the shop would charge to diagnose that and give me the same information.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
2Alpha said:
I originally thought soot as well and it does dry up so as always...

"Thanks to the ever knowing body of LT owners on this site"

I'd hate to think what the shop would charge to diagnose that and give me the same information.

Steve
"They all do that... $275 please."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cfell said:
"They all do that... $275 please."
Only $275. Where do you get your servicing done?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have this too soot issue as well. I originally thought the bike was running a bit rich, but then again, the exhaust points straight down... It can't help but "tatoo" the pavement.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
BTW... if you park bike on sidestand, you might get a little bit of "blue smoke"...

That oily smoke will condense in the exhaust... and accumulate, then mix with normal "soot"... So, there's one possible cause.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Uh...if ya look close, you'll see that the exhaust pipe does not point straight down, its sort of a fake. The bike does run rich by design on start up.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Daman858 said:
Uh...if ya look close, you'll see that the exhaust pipe does not point straight down, its sort of a fake. The bike does run rich by design on start up.
Actually the fake part is that it appears to go straight back when in fact it does go straight down. The accumulation of moisture and soot at this location and the downward bend of the actual exhaust pipe came as the result of a team collaboration between Heinrich's engineers and Gerta's marketing team in the father land. They wanted to entice Hardly Ableson riders in the New World to convert to the LT. These HD riders were accustomed to "marking their territory" with an oil leak. While this was unacceptable to Heinrich's group they were able to accomodate Gerta's team with condensation and soot. What will they think of next?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Oops, yep, what you said! The exhaust actally points down, it is the little straight pipe that is "fake".

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I just found this thread and need some help.

My 2000 LT 52K miles is running fine.

I replaced the spark plugs last night and when I was working in the garage I noticed the soot on the floor. It looks more dry then wet like OIL.

BUT the problem did not exist till I replaced the spark plugs.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
pauleknight said:
I just found this thread and need some help.

My 2000 LT 52K miles is running fine.

I replaced the spark plugs last night and when I was working in the garage I noticed the soot on the floor. It looks more dry then wet like OIL.

BUT the problem did not exist till I replaced the spark plugs.

your thoughts would be appreciated.
You're fine. I've seen it after spark plug change and all through until the next spark plug change.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Steve_R said:
You're fine. I've seen it after spark plug change and all through until the next spark plug change.
Thanks Steve, but weird.

It did not do this and now after spark plugs it does?

Should I be watching the oil like a hawk?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
pauleknight said:
Thanks Steve, but weird.

It did not do this and now after spark plugs it does?

Should I be watching the oil like a hawk?

Thanks

Oh and I have not had a chance to take her off the bench after the spark plug change. I am waiting on a few more parts before I button her all up.

Maybe after a shake down ride she will be better?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ambient temperature seems to play a big part in this as well mine never does this in the summer months

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Axle said:
ambient temperature seems to play a big part in this as well mine never does this in the summer months
Unless you mean summer like winter, because it is 95 degrees in the shade over here in Florida.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts