BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2005 RT with 5000 miles on it out for a spin this morning.
I have it a few months, but am not sure what way the oil indication system works.
Last week my oil level was at 1/3 on sight glass, and my RID showed the check oil symbol.
I added oil up to the max level.
Now the symbol I have beside OIL is (- - -)
Strangely enough, on two occasions, just after riding the bike for an hour, when I pulled over to stop, the OIL symbol changed to ( ✓)
Is this normal or what happening, or what symbols should I be seeing.
The oil level is at the upper level at present.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
I do not know how long it takes, but on my RT I do not get the check mark that the oil is ok until I ride it for a while. Just make sure you can see the level in the sight glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
corrcullen said:
Had my 2005 RT with 5000 miles on it out for a spin this morning.
I have it a few months, but am not sure what way the oil indication system works.
Last week my oil level was at 1/3 on sight glass, and my RID showed the check oil symbol.
I added oil up to the max level.
Now the symbol I have beside OIL is (- - -)
Strangely enough, on two occasions, just after riding the bike for an hour, when I pulled over to stop, the OIL symbol changed to ( ✓)
Is this normal or what happening, or what symbols should I be seeing.
The oil level is at the upper level at present.
Not sure about the 2005, but on the 2110, with the display set to TPM, it changes to OIL ( ✓) when the bike is stoped. But I'm sure most knew that anyways...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I have been curious about this for since I bought my 2012 Rt last November. The sight glass is full. The Display shows OIL with a check mark next to it. The Owner Manual States nothing about this indicator. Although being a man I may have missed the info in the manual.

I assume it means the oil is OK???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
TruckerG said:
I have been curious about this for since I bought my 2012 Rt last November. The sight glass is full. The Display shows OIL with a check mark next to it. The Owner Manual States nothing about this indicator. Although being a man I may have missed the info in the manual.

I assume it means the oil is OK???
Yes. Checkmark means it's fine, ! means it's possibly low, and needs to be checked at your next stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
--- means "fill in the blank" :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
alanrd said:
I don't have my manual in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the oil is checked when the bike is at operating temperature, stopped and level.
That is how my 09 works . A check mark when engine is at the right operating temperature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
The preconditions for the oil level check are as follows:

* Engine at operating temperature.
* Engine idling for at least 30 seconds.
* Side stand retracted.
* Make sure the motorcycle is upright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
SPXDR said:
The preconditions for the oil level check are as follows:

* Engine at operating temperature.
* Engine idling for at least 30 seconds.
* Side stand retracted.
* Make sure the motorcycle is upright.
Plus, you ask for a check by moving to the required screen--it's not instantly there when you do but appears after "calculation" delay.

If original poster does not have owners manual--where this is CLEARLY explained--a BMW dealer can easily get one for him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I too have an 05 and sometimes in the middle of a run, the oil check symbol comes on, and yes I am new to BMW. I'll have another look in the 05 manual, but im pretty sure it did'nt say when oil check symbol appears, your oil level is correct, but I'm willing to be corrected. BTW it only comes on very rarely. Page 57 of my manual refers to suspension damping and tyre pressure checks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
OK, you asked so I might as well do the dump...

I have an '05 as well.

The Oil level thing on the '05's and early 06's were a problem because the factory used an oil level float with the incorrect density. This, along with a software thing... yielded incorrect low oil level readings on the RID... ( rider information display). There was a technical bulletin on this and they replaced the float with a different one and re-programmed the computer. They will still do this for you if it has not been done.

The big BMW computer in the sky will know if it has been done to your bike- so your friendly local dealer can run the VIN and tell you.

The real problem is the computer. If it has not been updated then just changing the float... which is a trivial thing...will not totally solve the problem. I did my change to the new float in about 15 minutes and this included the time to have a beer. The correct float is a $20US deal. The computer update is a dealer thing and they will update some but if it is way out of date they will not do all for free.

Mine was like on version 5 and they are now on update 20. They cannot go from early to later with out going through each individual update sequentially, so they wanted about 10 hours of shop time to do the computer. For some reason I did not agree to do that.

Changing the float fixed almost all the false Low Oil readings. Of course I knew the oil was correct and I am confident when riding... that the chances of a catastrophic oil loss are miniscule.

So... now you know what all the other owners of '05's and 06's dealt with. For me it is a total non-issue, but it is interesting... in an odd BMW sort of way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
hopz said:
Mine was like on version 5 and they are now on update 20. They cannot go from early to later with out going through each individual update sequentially, so they wanted about 10 hours of shop time to do the computer. For some reason I did not agree to do that.
Hopz - do you or anyone know how to tell what update version your computer software is? Seems logical that this would be something the GS-911 could read but I don't recall seeing that anywhere when I have mine connected.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
JayJay said:
Hopz - do you or anyone know how to tell what update version your computer software is? Seems logical that this would be something the GS-911 could read but I don't recall seeing that anywhere when I have mine connected.

JayJay

I believe the GS-911 reports it as part of the autoscan function. My (never updated) '06 RT, produced August '05, shows this:
Factory I-Level: K024-05-08-510
Actual I-Level: K024-05-08-510


And yes, I incorrectly get the <!> low oil warning light at times.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top