BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several products used to protect the very exposed oil cooler on the RT. One requires removal of the fairing to install, another promises to fit right into the fairing, no tupperware removal, held in place with adhesive strips.
Has anybody had any experience with these products?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
700 Posts
Dave,

I did a friends RT (2006) & just went to a metal dealer & purchased some stainless steel wire sheet. Cut out a template that fit in behind the fairing, cut the stainless out & held it in the center with a coarse short screw & then did a little bending to get the edges closer, then used a hot glue gun around the outer edge to hold it in place worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Phil---
It looks good as well. Stable, no rattles?
Dave

·
Registered
700 Posts
No rattles & has worked for him & only cost I think $15cdn for the metal.....my time is free :)

heavynikonf3 said:
Thanks, Phil---
It looks good as well. Stable, no rattles?
Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
I fitted the Touratech about a year ago to my 2010RT.
Looks good.
Took about an hour to fit. Easy enough.
Required some tupperware removal to install.
Deon

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I cut some skid plate foam for dirtbikes to fit in front of the radiator. I can easily remove it when it's full of bugs to clean it and it's dense enough to stop a small projectile and porous enough to flow air well. Cost about 15 bucks and I got enough to make several.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I installed the Wunderlich version (adhesive strips) and it took about 5 minutes without any fuss. It has been rock-solid over New England roads (and I use the word "roads" loosely!).

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hello Heavy... I made mine from a piece of expanded aluminum sheet that is sold as disposable BBQ grill topper for cooking vegetable/shrimp etc.

By the way, it works great on the grill. Here in SLC I got it as a Smiths Marketplace, aka Kroger.

I did the fairing removal to get to the back side of the Oil Cooler grill. Not too hard just one step at a time.

Total cost was less than $2.00. Been on there several years, no issues at all. Looks great.

·
Registered
747 Posts
These things are basically appearance items. Your chance of holing a stock oil cooler is only slightly above zero. Its size, height above ground, and construction greatly mitigate the chance of damaging one. Even on cars with low mounted oil coolers in track use, where close following and debris flinging off race tires guarantee a lot of crap is landing on the cooler, it is rare to do anything more than bend a fin. I've got screened intakes on my track car not so much to protect the coolers as to keep the crap out of the car- one can remove several generous handfuls of crap from the base of the screens after a bit of close track time.
No reason not to mount a screen if you like the way it looks (though all screens reduce airflow by more than you'd ever guess if you look in the tables worked out by the car aerodynamics guys).
As far as keeping bugs out of the stock one- nothing like a few miles in a heavy rain to clean the cooler.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
After riding through a grasshopper storm, I installed the foam. The grasshoppers hit the cooler hard enough to bend fins and there were enough of them that the cooler was 50% blocked and affecting oil temp. I was picking them out for 20 minutes and even after getting home and using a hose it was difficult to get the bug debris out. The foam installs/removes in seconds and as far as air flow the radiator can only flow so much air no matter how fast you ride and placing something in front of it with similar airflow (like stacking two radiators) shouldn't affect it's performance. I used a hair dryer to test the foam against the radiator and it seemed to flow just as much. Five thousand miles and the oil temp is the same as it was before. I do think that the expanded metal models may allow less air to pass through than the radiator but no one seems to have a problem with them either. The foam is super easy to maintain and doesn't require removing tupperware. Now when I stop for gas and there are a bunch of bugs on the foam I can pull it out, shake it off, and re-install, before the tank is full.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, more food for thought. We ride in typically 100 plus degree heat here in the desert. Racer 7 has given me something to think about---I don't want any blockage of the air flow. If I do go with a "store bought" version it will be the Wunderlich.
Guys, thanks for your input!
Hey Hopz, how does it do on burgers?
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
!!!!!!!!! :histerica

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
racer7 said:
These things are basically appearance items. Your chance of holing a stock oil cooler is only slightly above zero. Its size, height above ground, and construction greatly mitigate the chance of damaging one. Even on cars with low mounted oil coolers in track use, where close following and debris flinging off race tires guarantee a lot of crap is landing on the cooler, it is rare to do anything more than bend a fin. I've got screened intakes on my track car not so much to protect the coolers as to keep the crap out of the car- one can remove several generous handfuls of crap from the base of the screens after a bit of close track time.
No reason not to mount a screen if you like the way it looks (though all screens reduce airflow by more than you'd ever guess if you look in the tables worked out by the car aerodynamics guys).
As far as keeping bugs out of the stock one- nothing like a few miles in a heavy rain to clean the cooler.....
Hey Racer!
I think I'm the only guy riding around with a thermo couple in my tank bag----It was in the upper 90's in Death Valley, coming out just before the road to Beatty, NV. 4 of us on RT's, 2 of which were 2010's like mine. I measured everywhere on the engines to see if those 2 cooler protector bikes were running warmer: Thank you, sir, you were dead right!! I read almost 8 to 11 degree difference from my own, no protector RT. I can only postulate that the difference is exponentially multiplied with rise in ambient temp. Thanks again for the good info.
Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
My oil cooler was hit by flying debris. I managed to straighten the fins, but thought it prudent to add some sort of protection. I made a grill out of wire mesh. I removed the front scoop and inserted the grill between the outer and inner plastic scoop. It is held in place by compression. Not very obvious, but will take the brunt of a hit. If damaged, I’ll make another one. Thengrill may have cost me $1.00 to make...

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey guys I used my wife' Walmart pasta collander and removed the stainless wire . The compression from reassembly keeps it in place.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skidmarc said:
My oil cooler was hit by flying debris. I managed to straighten the fins, but thought it prudent to add some sort of protection. I made a grill out of wire mesh. I removed the front scoop and inserted the grill between the outer and inner plastic scoop. It is held in place by compression. Not very obvious, but will take the brunt of a hit. If damaged, I’ll make another one. Thengrill may have cost me $1.00 to make...
That looks pretty good, Marc. Big enough to impede small thrown up rocks and things, which is what I'm interested in more than anything else.
Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
I doubt of integrity failure within the oil cooler due to bugs, rocks, etc. Cosmetically speaking I did receive damage last spring to the fins, more than I would like to see.. due to rocks..my shield and right tank panel can also attest. The bug dings and guts I can live with but do have respect for the flying rocks.

I also installed a light guard while I was at it... more paranoia :)

Spring riding does have its hazards.

So I made one this winter..

The S.S. was a piece of mine scrap.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The airflow impediment of even the most open screen is 20% and can be as much as 40% or more. There are a couple commonly avialable texts on race car aerodynamics you can read to learn about this sort of thing (and you might be surprised at how non-intuitive some of the info is. I once gained a full 4 mph on a long straight by installing a good splitter design on a car without one- that's like a free 20 hp at those speeds).

So in marginal or heat stress situations that screen may indeed cause higher operating temps. Of course, one can then add a fan to help get back the air flow the screen blocks.
Sort of an overly complicated to an answer to a non-issue- the chance the most riders would ever hole an oil cooler.

But I certainly agree that I like the appearance of stainless mesh more than a naked cooler and if I lived somewhere where it was always cool, I might add one too. But it gets hot enough here in NC that my bike sometimes is on the verge of getting hot in slow traffic- though I haven't needed to consider adding a fan to it, yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts