BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question guys: I've put about 3000 miles on the GTL since the first service at 600 miles. Yesterday the oil display said "Check". Is it normal on this bike to go through enough oil to trigger that display? I haven't had time to verify the oil level with the dipstick, but it's probably showing low. My dealer put the bike on synthetic since day 1. Thanks for any info.

Reid

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think I saw some discussion on the K16 forum that some dealers are filling the bike with 5 quarts after an oil change rather than the called for 4.75 to prevent the "check" command.

Other than the intentional overfill guys are reporting that about 1/2 quart top up is needed between changes to keep the oil check function satisfied.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
When you get the "Check oil" light you are only about 1/4 to 1/2 of a quart low. Just top it off & you will be good to go. I put in 5 quarts every oil change. Remember to start the bike after 4 quarts or you will not be able to put the last quart in. I also used about 1 1/2 quarts in the first 6000 miles. Now at 16,000 it uses no oil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information, Steve. Now to just find some MA2 rated synthetic without running all over the city!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.