BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 lt, with about 40k on it. Currently about 1200 miles from home and many miles to go of course.
The problem is it has a couple problems. Running at 75 - 85 mph going up long steep grades the temp gauge doesn't stay fixed center temp. Starts to creep up, mainly between center and overheat. Both fans work fine, and the radiator isn't all bugged up.
With that said, it seems to burn some oil while I'm doing that. About a quart every 1500 miles. Could I have a bad valve or something making it do this? I haven't seen too much. I have seen something about problems with rings in the past but not exactly like this. The problem didn't start untill around 32k on the engine. Right after I switched to the synthetic.
Did the 36k on it and all the valve lash was great; still no adjustment.

What oil does everyone use on the road? Need to know, seems this baby is starting to get thirsty.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
rpeve said:
The problem is it has a couple problems. Running at 75 - 85 mph going up long steep grades the temp gauge doesn't stay fixed center temp. Starts to creep up, mainly between center and overheat. Both fans work fine, and the radiator isn't all bugged up.
This is normal behavior, as long as the gauge does not go to the overheat zone.

rpeve said:
With that said, it seems to burn some oil while I'm doing that. About a quart every 1500 miles. Could I have a bad valve or something making it do this? I haven't seen too much. I have seen something about problems with rings in the past but not exactly like this. The problem didn't start untill around 32k on the engine. Right after I switched to the synthetic.
Did the 36k on it and all the valve lash was great; still no adjustment.

What oil does everyone use on the road? Need to know, seems this baby is starting to get thirsty.
On the other hand this not normal behavior. LTs usually do not burn oil. I suspect you already checked for leaks. Do you see white blueish smoke coming out of your exhaust?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, cept when I leave it on its sidestand. what type of oil do you use when your on the road mixed with bmws synthetic.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
The oil consumption is within limits (1L/1,000kM). May have some broken ring lands on the pistons as that is usually the cause of high oil consumption.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, gives me a little relief being so far from home!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just as an FYI, and while some may disagree, it's not too unuusal for oil consumption to increase when you switch to synthetic oil. A lot depends on the current tolerance of the moving parts in your engine, but the basic idea is that synthetic oil is all one size molecule. Unlike blends or dino oil which have varying size molecules.

So, in essence the small molecules can slip though the gaps and either get burned or leak. If it continues, you may want to consider going back to conventional oil or a blended oil.

And as a final FYI, this same process is what they do for "high milage" vehicles. Except in reverse. Generall y use a heavier weight oil (larger molecules) to prevent oil loss, quite the engine, and make it seem like it is cured of its problems. Not true, but at least it uses less oil. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts