BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my bike this morning and had oil coming out my exhaust. Ran it a short run and engine was missing terribly. Any suggestions. I am in the middle of my annual cross country so need to know whether I need to abort or is there a fix. Trying some Marvelous Mystery Oil to free up any stuck valve. Bike set up for some years after a wreck. 99 K1200lt.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Even a stuck valve would not produce raw oil at the tail pipe. Are you sure it was oil and not afoot and water mix? Where are you now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it was definitely oil and one cylinder was not firing. I am in New Orleans right now. Going to run it again this morning and see if the problem clears up. If not go find and replace the plugs. Don't know how hard it will be to find the plugs.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
I am on trip as well and in Pensacola. Also check the plug wires for chaffing, that will kill a cylinder as well. I would suspect that or a bad plug before a stuck valve. Good luck.

If you can't find plugs let me know and I can get a set here and one of our group will be heading back to TX through New Orleans tomorrow. Might be able to get them to you.
Bosch XR7LDC by the way. Also Autolite 4164, and Ngk DCPR7EIX.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Keep it on the center stand also. Possibly sounds like a plug is fouled from the infamous side stand oil leaking into a cylinder? Stuck ring?
Is it smoking at all? Or just spitting oil? How many miles on your '99?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Also, ( John chime in), If you are near a dealer and can get an oil change, add seafoam to the crankcase for about 20 miles prior to the oil change to free up any stuck rings, and general crancase clean out.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Oil out the tail pipe is not good.

Broken/stuck ring or broken piston come to mind.

If you ran it for a while with a dead cylinder due to a bad spark plug, it might pump oil and blow out out the exhaust. Be worth trying a fresh set of plugs, or at least one in your dead cylinder. If not the spark plug/ignition, possible burned valve.

Would be amazed of a can of Sea Foam were to have any positive effect.

·
Registered
498 Posts
gunny said:
Broken/stuck ring or broken piston come to mind. .
I would check the compression in all 4, that's a dead giveaway.

gunny said:
Would be amazed of a can of Sea Foam were to have any positive effect.
Seafoam will loosen a STUCK ring.... (ADD TO CRANKCASE) But you need to change the oil rather quickly afterwards....

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just wondering how you made out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think it was the side kickstand thing from sitting up so long. Turns out the #4 cylinder spark plug was fouled. Checked compression on all cylinders and all read around 190 on my gauge. Local guy suggested that the high humidity down here will was built up carbon out of a pipe that has been up north a long time. Regardless, running good on rack last night. Taking it out for a test drive this AM and if all is okay. Will move on. Also Advanced Auto has all the BMW motorcycles in their database and had the correct spark plugs. A real lifesaver.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,918 Posts
Glad it all worked out for you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
I would check the compression in all 4, that's a dead giveaway.

Compression test usually will not show a broken oil ring.

Seafoam will loosen a STUCK ring.... (ADD TO CRANKCASE) But you need to change the oil rather quickly afterwards....

Sea Foam might loosen a stuck ring but I would not count on it.
Glad that it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good for you--ride on and ride safe. :bike:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Being broke down in NOLA can turn a mundane trip into a legendary trip....

Stay away from the House of the Rising Sun, I heard it was the ruin of many a poor boy...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
So, Apparently it wasn't oil.. Just carbon and water...?????????

At least that's what usually comes out of the exhaust...

Considering the cat is between the engine and the muffler.. Oil would have a difficult time making it out to the ground...

On the other hand. On initial startup the LT makes a lot of condensation and that picks up the carbon in the exhaust and it comes out the back....

I'm glad it was just a fouled plug... Always keep the bike upright for 30 seconds after shutting the engine off to allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase.. No smoke. No fouling...

Now take it out and blow the cobs out of the engine... You've been babying it too much..

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts