BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the LT away in mid-December with fresh BMW synthetic oil/filter and the LT has been sitting in the garage since then. Because of other commitments, I won't be taking the LT out to start my riding season until the end of March. Does synthetic oil develop acidity like dino oil, in such a short time? I don't mind replacing the synthetic with the same oil if necessary, but if it's not an issue, I'll change it after riding 3K which shouldn't take long. TIA.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
SEG said:
I put the LT away in mid-December with fresh BMW synthetic oil/filter and the LT has been sitting in the garage since then. Because of other commitments, I won't be taking the LT out to start my riding season until the end of March. Does synthetic oil develop acidity like dino oil, in such a short time? I don't mind replacing the synthetic with the same oil if necessary, but if it's not an issue, I'll change it after riding 3K which shouldn't take long. TIA.
I'd ride it and not give it a second thought. Clean oil in an engine that hasn't been run should not develop acid to any extent worth worrying about.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did you use a fuel preservative in your fuel tank? I'm not sure how long it take fuel to break down and start causing problems, but I put Stabil in my tank if its going to sit for any length of time. I keep it on hand for my yard equipment, some of which will sit for 6 months between uses. They start up with out any problems when needed. There are other one's out there, this just happens to be what I use.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I park mine with fresh Dino oil in the fall and ride them away in the spring without a second thought. Usually sit for at least five months with out running. I usually take a short 15 - 20 minute ride, check everything over and then take it out and get it good and warm. This helps burn off any moisture that may have condensed in the oil over the winter. never had milky colored oil in 30 years of doing this.

I second Rab on useing StaBil or some form of fuel preservative. Fuel today starts to degrade after only a few weeks.

Roy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I put StaBil in the tank before the LT was parked for the winter. I'm really looking forward to start riding, it can't come soon enough. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts