BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I accomplish an oil change without a lift. :confused:
I know it has been done but my better question is how do I approach it. Should I sit with my legs under the bike safe or stupid or should I lay on side of bike and attack it that way. I have done changes before on a Kaw and GWing but they only involved pulling the drain plug. I have a print out of directions and pictures but I guess I am looking for some assurance a confidence builder. OK the doors are wide open and thanks.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do all my LT oil changes without the lift, and I do have one. I will not try to put the LT on the lift by myself. A good size piece of cardboard helps to keep the garage floor (and me) clean. Lots of up and down, on the knees, on the back, on the sides. Hard on a 63 year old man but not bad.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Don't have a lift yet and the concrete gets cold when you're on it for a while. I don't understand putting the leg(s) under the bike I don't see how that helps you get to the filter, you still have to lay down or at least I do.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
Best way to attack is to remove two of the three bolts on the filter cover, then position the drain pan under it and loosen the third. Be ready as the old hot oil will come out pretty fast. then once it is done you can remove the drain plug and get that last 2 oz out. I just lay on the side and work from there.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I get Pet training Pads at Walmart. They look like a flat square diaper. I put them under the drain pain to "Soak Up" any spilt oil.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have garage carpeting from Home Depot
Click HERE

It covers the garage. When I do an oil change, I use either the pet pads or news paper, etc to cover when the oil might splatter and a very large pan to catch the oil.

The carpet keeps me off the cement floor.

I have done 2 dozen oil changes with no lift and the carpet is still fresh and clean...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Haven't used a lift and have probably done 10-15 or so fluid changes. I keep several large sections of carpet and an old boat cushion around and just lay on them beside the bike. Newspaper does a good job of catching spills. A lift would be nice........

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
budzee said:
I do all my LT oil changes without the lift, and I do have one. I will not try to put the LT on the lift by myself. A good size piece of cardboard helps to keep the garage floor (and me) clean. Lots of up and down, on the knees, on the back, on the sides. Hard on a 63 year old man but not bad.
OK this is what I am looking for soon to be 61. And last year instead of throwing out the old box spring I stripped it down and saved the foam and have lots of cardboard. I have large size drain basin I plan to pick up a tork wrench from HF. I already have my filters.

Don't have a lift yet and the concrete gets cold when you're on it for a while. I don't understand putting the leg(s) under the bike I don't see how that helps you get to the filter, you still have to lay down or at least I do.

You are right but that's was my experience from the other two bikes

Best way to attack is to remove two of the three bolts on the filter cover, then position the drain pan under it and loosen the third. Be ready as the old hot oil will come out pretty fast. then once it is done you can remove the drain plug and get that last 2 oz out. I just lay on the side and work from there.

I am really glad you jumped in the experience is the most beneficial tool I think I need. and speaking of tools what are the wrench sizes I need and I almost forgot about the wrench filter from past posts I understand a tight fit. Thanks everyone so far. This will be my 1st on the LT.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jzeiler said:
Just like John said. It's easy and if I - a 73 yr old can do it with ease, so can you.

·
Registered
876 Posts
On getting the most old oil out of the crankcase, push down on the top case to tilt the bike back and more oil will run out, then I get some assistance and while holding the front brake firmly on we tilt the bike left and right. Even more oil runs from the pan that way. Probably a bit podantic on this, but the more oil out the better IMO. Just make sure your oil catch container is wide enough to allow for the drain changing position as the bike is tilted.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Get the wrench and Filter from beemer bone yard and they will send you what you need.

Get the oil from anyplace.

·
Premium Member
7,657 Posts
I'm only 52, a fair bit younger than you old farts (LOL), but I do as others have said. I have a piece of triple layer cardboard and I just lay that beside the bike and lay on it and do the job. The only difference between me and many others is that I prefer to remove the drain plug as well as the filter cover. Just the engineer in me who figures BMW spent the money for a drain plug for a reason.
:bmw:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lesn said:
Just like John said. It's easy and if I - a 73 yr old can do it with ease, so can you.
Thanks my neighbor to the north confidence booster.
Yes I am reading each and every post and gaining more and more insight of how I am going about my first attempt on messing with the lady. I guess once I break the ice I won't sound so much like a wouse. I certainly read and listen to all on this forum long before time for bike surgery. Then I even review something just before I do it. Thanks to all who responded to my thread.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,429 Posts
You can look at Mark's article here on an 05 oil change for an idea of what it will look like. Oil Change 101

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
jzeiler said:
You can look at Mark's article here on an 05 oil change for an idea of what it will look like. Oil Change 101
These are the exact instructions I followed last month when I did my first oil change on the LT (first ever on a bike!)... only difference being I dropped the whole EHCS unit so I could top it up while I was getting my hands dirty anyway.
Bike on centrestand, old bedspread on the concrete, lay at the RH side of the bike... and go for it. Just get your hand out of the way real quick once you drop that last bolt... I wound up fishing for it in the hot oil tray. :eek:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jzeiler said:
Thanks very much John.
When I first joined the forum a year ago I was trying to find out where my oil filter was (hidden in the belly of the beast) and I ran across this article by Mark. At that point I made a print out and have read over it a couple times even though I was still attached to the dealer for everything. I want to ween myself with this my first move. So bear with me. Even the younger bucks are showing me it can be done. I also remember the specs. as I look over the article. I will have a lot to say after the job.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Orrr come on, aren't ya gunna ask us all which oil is the best to use, and how long to leave it in there ? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
jzeiler said:
I've found that loosening up the front to bolts a bit more than 2 turns, but less than removing them, you can regulate the flow much more precisely with the loosening of the third bolt. My problem with doing anything is not taking it slow and thinking of the next step to be made. So, try to enjoy each step and I'm sure it will work out well for you. A big confidence boost when it's all said and done.
Will you be doing all fluids? I tend to take it all on at the same time. Once a year, but I don't put the mileage on where I need to do it more often since I'm using synthetic fluids.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
K100Dennis said:
Orrr come on, aren't ya gunna ask us all which oil is the best to use, and how long to leave it in there ? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
No need for that.
I have oil in my back yard. I was digging the ground one day to do some gardening and found a bone and I never saw the bone before and knew it did not belong to me so I figured it must belong to a Dinosaur and the rest is history :histerica :histerica :histerica
Really I am looking for Castrol 20w50 if I could find it. Again this is my first go round so I want to stick close to the manual.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will you be doing all fluids? I tend to take it all on at the same time. Once a year, but I don't put the mileage on where I need to do it more often since I'm using synthetic fluids.

NO.
Only the oil change one step at a time. If I end the job with a smile then mission accomplished. Plus I really want to stick with the oil change schedule so I could go on another trip I just passed 15000.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts