BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nearest BMW dealers are about 50 miles in opposite directions from where I live. I tried to find an oil filter at the local auto parts store but no joy. Then, reading the service manual, I discover I need to have new, crushable washers. Any wisdom on the forum as to a good online source for these items?
Bartman

·
Registered
220 Posts
A good online source for BMW parts is www.beemerboneyard.com.

At the risk of starting a new thread, in my experience you don't need to replace the crush washers at every service. As long as you don't over-tighten the drain and filler plugs, the crush washers can be used several times. A tip that has worked for me, when you undo the filler or drain plug, do not remove the crush washer from the plug. This ensures that the sealing faces remain paired and minimizes the amount of deformation required to seal when the plugs are tightened again.

·
Registered
787 Posts
There are many oil filter threads here. Guys find oil filters from Walmart to Napa. I chose to order the five filter oil change kit from Boneyard and am very happy with what they sent and it included the oil wrench.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you have an Advance Auto parts near they sell Purolator 10241 it will work in the LT just fine. You can also get a Bosch filter there as well. That would be a 72161. Both are good filters. If you do use an automotive filter on your bike make sure you take the sticker off if it has one on it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
MartyBlok said:
If you have an Advance Auto parts near they sell Purolator 10241 it will work in the LT just fine. You can also get a Bosch filter there as well. That would be a 72161. Both are good filters. If you do use an automotive filter on your bike make sure you take the sticker off if it has one on it.
Marty ;you forgot they have paint on them :D ;;oh thats right we both already use painted filters

Gary :bmw:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The bosh 3330 works and is the same as the 72161, the 3330 has the sticker the 72161 does not. I have been using the 3330 now for years and years on two different LT's with no issues, just peel the sticker.
Take your crush washer and oil filter cover o ring to your local ace hardward or napa auto parts and have them match it up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Just a tip from down under, you may or may not wish to make use of it - I never replace crush or sealing washers, instead I lightly coat the plug threads (only) with Loctite 567 Teflon thread sealant. None of the sealant ends up inside the comparetment, low torque only is required for the plug (safe in alloy), no leaks occur and the plug is easily undone next service as this Loctite product does not set firm. Simply wire brush off the plug threads and re-apply the product. Very little is required, a tube will last for years. ;) Main engine oil filter cover O ring can be sourced cheaply from any hydraulics supplier. HTH

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
andres said:
A tip that has worked for me, when you undo the filler or drain plug, do not remove the crush washer from the plug. This ensures that the sealing faces remain paired and minimizes the amount of deformation required to seal when the plugs are tightened again.
I do just the opposite and never had any problems. I would flip the crush washer and will use it for two oil changes. Now, if I happen to purchased my oil filter from the dealer, I have them provide a new crush washer. If I order from Beemer Boneyard, those filters do not come with crush washers. Last month I drove to my local dealer and purchased some oil drain plug, transmission fill and drain plugs, and the rear end fill and drain plugs (or o-rings). This should last me for at least a year, if not two.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I never pull the drain plug but reach up in the sump and blot out any remaining oil through the filter acess hole.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
jzeiler said:
I never pull the drain plug but reach up in the sump and blot out any remaining oil through the filter acess hole.
Yep usually very little at that. :check:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts