BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys in the hot states running sae 40 motor oil during the summer?

If so, how is startup?

Clymers pg 48 oil and temperature chart

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
15W50 Mobil or 20W50 Amsoil or 10W50 Castrol all syhntetic year around

seahabit said:
Are you guys in the hot states running sae 40 motor oil during the summer?

If so, how is startup?

Clymers pg 48 oil and temperature chart

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
10-40 Winter, 20-50 Summer, Good ol fashion Dino Castrol flavor.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
20/50W Synthetic year round.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Recheck my post. :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I read this thread title I envisioned :

Step 1 : Park bike over storm drain ..... :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
When I read this thread title I envisioned :

Step 1 : Park bike over storm drain ..... :D
If it was suthern* style, it would be
Park bike on tew by twelve over ditch..... :D

Citee peeple (yes spellin fer da phonics krowd) park over on of dem storm drains...

WHats a storm drain?

been too dry to have dem heah

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
20W50 Castrol year round and I used the white jugs for catfishin'................. :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
amsoil 20-50 been runnin n harley for 60,000 plus miles wiff no problems only put 4500 on beemer with 20-50 also amsoil

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Slim said:
amsoil 20-50 been runnin n harley for 60,000 plus miles wiff no problems only put 4500 on beemer with 20-50 also amsoil
+1 on the Amsoil. Been runnin' synth since back in the day, and ole Toad still likes it. Runnin' A-synth in the tranny and final drive also. Change all three at +/- 3K.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
BEhrler said:
With liquid coolant, thermostats, and cooling fans doesn't the engine run at the same temperature year round?
No. Once the thermostat opens, the temperature will rise until the temperature differential between the radiators and the OAT is sufficient to reject the heat produced by the engine. The fans normally don't kick on until things are fairly hot so the engine can operate over a fairly wide temperature range from winter to summer.

Also, at engine start, the temp is a lot colder in the winter than in the summer, at least if you live north of the Mason-Dixon! That is where the winter weight oil really makes the difference.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Voyager said:
No. Once the thermostat opens, the temperature will rise until the temperature differential between the radiators and the OAT is sufficient to reject the heat produced by the engine. The fans normally don't kick on until things are fairly hot so the engine can operate over a fairly wide temperature range from winter to summer.

Also, at engine start, the temp is a lot colder in the winter than in the summer, at least if you live north of the Mason-Dixon! That is where the winter weight oil really makes the difference.
I was thinking more in comparison with an air cooled 4 stroke engine vs. liquid cooled engine. What would be the difference in the oil tempature between these two engines on a hot day then on a cold day? Then would that difference in oil temperature cause one to think about the 40 wt. oil described in the first thread on a hot day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts