BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Oil change question

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Outbacker 
#1 ·
This is my 2nd oil change on my 1600 GTL. I noticed that the 5 mm Allen plug for the inner sump came out without a crush washer. Don't remember if that was the case on the 1st change. Btw, I have a tool all of you who do your own oil changes will find very handy for that inner plug. It's a set of allen keys that incorporate s small snap ring within a groove around the widest portion of the ball end that captures the Allen bolt or plug by friction. Clever and will prevent loosing the plug in the outer sump. Made in Germany and sold through Whia tools. So let me know if that plug needs a crush washer. It may be stuck against the sump but can't see up there.

#2 ·
motocyclismo said:
This is my 2nd oil change on my 1600 GTL. I noticed that the 5 mm Allen plug for the inner sump came out without a crush washer. Don't remember if that was the case on the 1st change. Btw, I have a tool all of you who do your own oil changes will find very handy for that inner plug. It's a set of allen keys that incorporate s small snap ring within a groove around the widest portion of the ball end that captures the Allen bolt or plug by friction. Clever and will prevent loosing the plug in the outer sump. Made in Germany and sold through Whia tools. So let me know if that plug needs a crush washer. It may be stuck against the sump but can't see up there.
try here www.k1600forum.com

#7 ·
motocyclismo said:
Link? I went to the Whia tool page and find nothing.....

#10 ·
That seems like a cool tool to have for this job. I have yet to do my first oil change and I am sure I can research my question and get an answer but it is 6:30 in the morning and I have not had my first coffee. What is the size of wrench will I need for the outer oil sump plug?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.