BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did I do wrong? It took forever to get the plate back on after replacing the oil filter. It just would not line up right. Next time I am probably going to pay to have it done because it was totally not worth all the time I spent in the Louisiana heat, on my carport floor.

I barely got three quarts of oil out of it as well. Of course, this being my first time changing it myself, probably half a quart was on the carport floor and me when I got ready to clean up the mess.

I do admit I feel much closer to the beast now that we have become more intimate. I think I changed her name three times while I was doing the oil change, and none of them were very flattering.

Back to the question; is there a trick to get the sump plate to line up right?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The lines/ grooves on the plate should match up to the ones on the engine, hth

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
yup... the "next time", make a tiny scratch (scribe mark) on the front or rear of the "cover". There is a slight offset of the bolt hole tabs you may not notice... and each time it gets "quicker" .. just get a metal "drip pan" to put bike on and the carpet will be fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I thought about scribing a mark on the plate after I got it put back together and then the common sense comment of lining up the grooves really hit home. Boy, do I feel a little stupid. Maybe I should change my name.. to doofus.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
thank you for sharing. I will work on mine in a month or two. Not riding as much as I want.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
cfell said:
yup... the "next time", make a tiny scratch (scribe mark) on the front or rear of the "cover". There is a slight offset of the bolt hole tabs you may not notice... and each time it gets "quicker" .. just get a metal "drip pan" to put bike on and the carpet will be fine.
Or, next time you're in ChinaWall-Mart, drop over to the pet products aisle and grab a package of puppy training pads. Toss one under the scoot while changing fluids - finished, just roll it up and toss it in the trash. They're semi-absorbent and they don't leak thru.

·
Registered
43 Posts
like that ,save all the spots on my sidewalk!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Here's my oil change question: with all the talk of painted vs unpainted filters, I ordered the 12/24K kit rom beemerboneyard and the filter they sent is Bosch painted. Is this going to to be a big deal? I would think they'd send appropriate filter, so I'm going with it.

Anyone know any different?

Randy

·
Registered
748 Posts
There are a ton of opinions on the painted vs. non-painted issue. Many guys use the painted with no problems. Some refuse to go with anything but the uppainted. It's going to have to be your call since you have to be comfortable with it.

Ray

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm using K&N oil filters...just put a six inch 3/8" extension on a ratchet and out the filter comes !....with the paint still intact on the filter, I think they are powdercoated.....KN-163 is the part number.

And YES, line up the cooling fins, the cover is not symetrical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts