BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil for the second time yesterday in my bike, and I ran into a small problem. I am not sure which nitwit designed this bike, but the center stand was in the way of the third oil filter cover bolt. I barely got it out of the hole, and I could not get it back in with out stripping the threads.

I used the slightly smaller bolt for the belly pan to get it back together.

Does anyone see any problems with that? Any other suggestions? Maybe I could move the center stand back a bit?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Not sure which year you have but on the 05 I remove the skid plate from the skid plate frame (2 hex bolts up front and 2 10mm nuts at the rear). Makes it real easy then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did remove that plate. The piece that is in the way is the cross bar on the hydraulic center stand (I too have an 05).

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
On my '05 that outside screw is by the metal tube but it isn't that big a deal. I remove the other two first then loosen that one and let it drain, then remove.

·
Registered
659 Posts
mowoc said:
I barely got it out of the hole, and I could not get it back in with out stripping the threads.
If you did strip the threads I suggest Permatex thread repair. It's incredible for repairing stripped threads and will handle a lot more torque on the bolt than what specs call for. I got mine at a local Napa auto parts store. Just a happy customer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not strip the threads, I just swapped one of the bolts from the skid plate. It was 5 mm shorter or so, but it was much easier to get to fit.

I am suprised at the shoddy design, This is yet another of a string of apparent engineering faux paus that I have had with this bike. I guess I expected more for 20k.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mowoc, I can't wait to hear what you have to say about draining the transmission!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave,

What is the big deal about the transmission drain?

I have a June 16th 12k service tech session, so I will have first hand experience whatever it is....

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Once you find out where the transmission drain plug is, you'll know.

·
Banned
588 Posts
And don't tell him where the transmission fill hole is either!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Or the super-duper BMW high tech expensive special oil drain guide.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Watch that shorter bolt, it doesn't catch enough threads & will strip very easy. Don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Something is very wrong!

mowoc said:
I changed the oil for the second time yesterday in my bike, and I ran into a small problem. I am not sure which nitwit designed this bike, but the center stand was in the way of the third oil filter cover bolt. I barely got it out of the hole, and I could not get it back in with out stripping the threads.

Does anyone see any problems with that? Any other suggestions? Maybe I could move the center stand back a bit?
I not sure I understands your difficulty. Other than over tightening and stripping or breaking the bolts, I have never heard of anyone having a problem getting the oil filter cover bolts on & off.

Remove skid plate, loosen the bolts a bit while the oil drains from the cover, remove the bolts by hand, new oil filter, blow out threads and clean bolts, new gasket and filter, snug evenly…piece of cake. 15 minutes tops.
Try to take the rear bolt out first before the cover drops.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
1 more thing my wrench told me to always just bottom out the screws and not torquing them. That big "O" ring will make a good seat. No reason to go beyond snug. You'll feel it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
was said:
Or the super-duper BMW high tech expensive special oil drain guide.
Or, you can use the proprietary design that Hans (Silver Buffalo) designed! That's what I plan on using on my 12k in a couple of weeks if he will grant me a license to copy his design. :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
mowoc said:

I'm gonna have to stick up for the engineers in der Fatherland,
if you're having a problem with something as simple as removing three allen bolts from the filter plate,
I suggest that the honorable title of nitwit belongs to yourself
rather than the engineers that designed this fantastic motorcycle.

And moving the centerstand back?
You obviously didn't think that comment through very well,
do you have any idea how much work that would be?
and how many other things it would affect?
The LT is perfectly centered and balanced on the centerstand,
why would you "screw" with that?

Sure it has some idiosycrisies but after you've been around BMW's for a while, you'll realize,
that if there was a better way they would have used it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was very confused by this thread as my engine oil changes are dead easy and the stand is not in the way. I guess its the newer bikes with the hydraulic stand thats the problem? I was thinking of upgrading to a newer bike but after hearing of the stand problem, a less comfy seat and steering jitters I think I'll stick with my '03!

·
Registered
893 Posts
billybiker said:
I was very confused by this thread as my engine oil changes are dead easy and the stand is not in the way. I guess its the newer bikes with the hydraulic stand thats the problem? I was thinking of upgrading to a newer bike but after hearing of the stand problem, a less comfy seat and steering jitters I think I'll stick with my '03!
I think the benefits you get with an '05 or later out weigh the negatives. There is no issue in getting to the oil change plate on my '05. Yes, there is one filter plate bolt that is a little tight to get to but really not an issue. I have done 2 oil changes with no issues. (I do think that whole oil change plate and having the filter immersed in oil is a royal pain and one messy process but that is the same on the old LT's too). I have not had any wobble. And yes the seat is less comfy for tall riders but that is fixable.

On the PLUS side getting the power centerstand, restyled dash, more ponies, and better handling are all worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts