BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my '03 K1200LT. Always took it to the dealer for servicing before, but it is at 40K now and thought it is time I start doing them. Been reading the threads and looked at any service manuals I can get my hands on, but I am confused on the oil filling. Is the oil filled through the sight glass hole? That is what it appears from what I can see. Also - I assume the drain and fill procedure is with the bike on the center stand but one manual said to check the oil level with the bike level and on the side stand. Given that, and the sight glass on the right hand side of the bike, I don't see how I could get all the oil in the engine with it on the center stand. Hope I am just over thinking this... Have a little time while I wait for the ****** dealer to get the filter wrench.

Thanks in advance.

** EDIT **

More searching around led me to another post on the forum with great pictures. I now see the fill is above the sight glass...and the procedure and level check is all done on the center stand which makes much more sense to me.

Here is what I referenced:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=4

It is referencing an '05, but it must be very similar.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
rdepas said:
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my '03 K1200LT. Always took it to the dealer for servicing before, but it is at 40K now and thought it is time I start doing them. Been reading the threads and looked at any service manuals I can get my hands on, but I am confused on the oil filling. Is the oil filled through the sight glass hole? That is what it appears from what I can see. Also - I assume the drain and fill procedure is with the bike on the center stand but one manual said to check the oil level with the bike level and on the side stand. Given that, and the sight glass on the right hand side of the bike, I don't see how I could get all the oil in the engine with it on the center stand. Hope I am just over thinking this... Have a little time while I wait for the ****** dealer to get the filter wrench.

Thanks in advance.
See this article -- there is a pic about 1/2 way down of the oil fill point -- well above the sightglass. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=4

Easier to see whether you have the right level on the centerstand (no issue because the fill point is well above the sightglass).

HTH,

·
Registered
135 Posts
The oil filler cap is on the same side as the sight glass, just slightly above it. I use an automotive transmission filler funnel with the flexible spout on the bottom to put the fresh oil back. I find I have to be both patient and careful filling the oil. If you have to get one of those, you might take your filter with you and see if your local automotive jobber/supply house has a proper wrench for your filter as well. They may stock it. As an alternative you might be able to make up something from a funnel that you already have and some hose clamped to it to reach in to the filler.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
rmcclure said:
you might take your filter with you and see if your local automotive jobber/supply house has a proper wrench for your filter as well.
If you do, measure the inner diameter of the crankcase opening (after you remove the filter cover) -- the filter wrench must have a small enough external diameter to fit through the hole in the crankcase to reach the filter -- most automotive wrenches are too "fat" (too thick-walled).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good point on thickness and outer diameter. I got mine at the local Carquest and it works fine. Yes it is a close (but not a tight) external fit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone. WOW - quick responses on this forum. I had left my link open and figured I would just let everyone know I found that 101 page before anyone responded...once I submitted the edit, I realized there were all the replies tagged on. Really appreciate the quick responses.

Really like this forum and plan on doing more things on my LT now. I use to work on Jeep CJ-7's so I am not afraid to get my hands dirty...I just didn't have the time for years.

One thing on my list is to pull the console and change the bulbs and check connections. I would love to do the speedo correction as well so I didn't have to calculate the 10% offset all the time. Dealer said it is VERY involved to pull the console so I am not looking forward to that. I had to pull a little tupperware to replace my broken clutch linkage last year and I can see what he is talking about. Wish BMW would have make it a little easier by simply using the same size machine screws to hold on all the tupperware instead of trying to keep them in order of placement when removed.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
rdepas said:
Dealer said it is VERY involved to pull the console so I am not looking forward to that.
It's really not that bad -- just need to be methodical and take your time to get the nose cone off. A shout out to the members will likely find you someone nearby that can help guide you through the first time nose removal -- they will know about the unique bits (like how to remove the headlight adjuster knob and cable, and nose wiring harness connectors). If not, post your Q's and we will be able to walk you through the steps.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE FILTER WRENCH FROM THE DEALER TO COME IN! Find a local store like AutoZone, NAPA, etc and buy one of these.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=oil+filter+wrench&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11526912867665496719&sa=X&ei=0u2RTZP5FIOusAOuqpWsDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

I GUARANTEE that no ham fisted mechanic will be able to put the filter on tight enough to defeat this unit. Will spin off any filter that will fit the LT as it doesn't rely on the flats on the filter to get purchase.

Don't buy the one on the web, instead go to a local store. You want one with skinny little grip thingeys not big thick ones. The space between the filter and the housing it fits in is pretty minimal.

I got mine at AutoZone.

Loren

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
wa1200lt said:
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE FILTER WRENCH FROM THE DEALER TO COME IN! Find a local store like AutoZone, NAPA, etc and buy one of these.

I got mine at AutoZone.

Loren
I noticed you said don't buy on line which is ok with me cause I would like to see what the design is up close. But after visiting the link I wonder if all these are the same tool why such a big range in prices. Is there a model # or size stamped on the tool for spec. comparison.

When I am not sure of fit with things like that if I'm in an auto store I go to the wrench (tools) then over to filters and match them together before I buy either one.

But in the case of the LT how many local auto parts stores are equipped with that size filter and wrench.

Last thing that design reminds me of a plumbing tool (under the basin wrench) and looks completely different from what the dealer sells.

Oh yes one last thing are the dealer wrench and this wrench interchangeable on BMW and after market filter like the Bosh.. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
After your first oil change I would like to hear the outcome. I also printed out that oil change 101 a couple week ago and it was spot on. My bike is new so I am still seeing the dealer but all I really need is the confidence. I understand all I have to and can take the paper work in the garage for reference. You are just north of me but Chicago is a brisk 40. . . . heated garage maybe?

I have done Kawasaki and Goldwing oil and filter changes before and was up to the challenge so I hope you are pleasantly successful. :bmw:
ride safe

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
billsmith said:
But in the case of the LT how many local auto parts stores are equipped with that size filter and wrench.

:
Took my new filter into Advanced AutoParts and found the right wrench for @ seven bucks.
And if you do a search for K1200 LT oil filters, you'll find that you can buy one at several different stores, including Wally World.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I can go for that. I was just reading another thread about oil change intervals. I just had one to end the season last year and the bike sat since Thanksgiving so weather is my biggest concern.
But I will certainly look into the wrench and filter deal. Premium gas in my area is over $4+ I'm just saying. :( ride safe

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
billsmith said:

Oh yes one last thing are the dealer wrench and this wrench interchangeable on BMW and after market filter like the Bosh.. :bmw:
Yes. This tool will remove any brand filter because the tool does not rely on the flats on the filter for grip.The factory tool does not fit the NAPA and Wix filters.

What sometimes happens is that the filter removal tool that the dealer sells (as well as others made of the factory design) will slip on the flats of the filter when said filter glues itself to the seating surface. When this happens you wind up trying rubber bands, sandpaper, etc to fill in the area between the filter and the tool. If this doesn't work then you have to poke holes in the filter with screwdrivers in order to remove the stuck filter.

Why not just invest in one tool that will remove any brand filter you can stick into the hole and that doesn't care how tight the filter is? I didn't invent the thing nor was I the person on this site to discover the superiority of the design. I bought one after reading a review by another subscriber.

If you would like I will be glad to send you the original pos filter remover for the cost of shipping.

Loren

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have not really gone out as yet to see if I could find it. As I have mentioned before I have not worked up my confidence for an oil change. . . that's my biggest hold up. Plus I just had one at end of season '10. But if I have a problem finding the tool I will gladly take you up on that offer. Keep your ears peeled and the next shout you hear should be me :) :)
ride safe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts