BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've just picked up Steve Paladini's oil change instructions from the old site and I've been looking for a picture of the Oil Filter removal tool.

Anyone got a picture, I'm going to see if I can find a similar one to the expensive BMW part before I tackle the job.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Here's the deal. The LT oil filter is actually inside the engine, not outside like a car. The BMW oil filter wrench has a thin wall so it can fit up inside of there. I have one which came with my bike. Some have found that the size B oil filter wrench from an Auto Zone store will also do the job. It's about 5 bucks. Use only BMW filter. Why? It has no paint on it which might flake off inside your engine.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daman858 said:
Here's the deal. The LT oil filter is actually inside the engine, not outside like a car. The BMW oil filter wrench has a thin wall so it can fit up inside of there. I have one which came with my bike. Some have found that the size B oil filter wrench from an Auto Zone store will also do the job. It's about 5 bucks. Use only BMW filter. Why? It has no paint on it which might flake off inside your engine.

My problem is I'm in the UK, and I've read about folks in the US finding suitable tool at a fraction of the cost. Guess I'll need to dip into my pocket and buy the BMW tool. Just trying to save a little money

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
take your filter to the auto parts store and size fit it to different wrenches.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Can you post a link to Steve's directions? I brought my bike into the local Stealer and he charged my almost $100 for an oil change.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Mike,
I paid $11 at the BMW dealer for my oil change tool... I agree that you maybe find a similar one for $3 at the PepBoys, but I'm not sure if it worth the worries... So far I used mine more then 16 times on my previus and current LT. It means that my cost so far is below .90 cents per change, and the tools still like new :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
here's some pix

Of the oil filter wrench,, It looks like any other except it's a little deeper..
I think you could just buy a standard one at the auto parts and maybe grind off the flange around the lip and you'd be just fine... I guess you could use a regular oil filter of the correct size if you cleaned the paint off the can first...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Cruise some of the BMW dealership online stores. Several offer 3rd party filter wrenches that work, but don't carry the OEM price tag. Seem to run 'bout $10 +SH.

I took a new FRAM filter to the local Auto Zone (they don't have letter sized wrenches it seems) and fond a #7 made out of some kind of glass re-enforced plastic for about $3.00. Chucked it up in my power drill and commenced to modifing. Used it for 3 changes now and I do think I'm gonna break down and get a metal one for the next go 'round.

Sierra BMW has 'em. Of course they also have the OEM tool.

San Jose BMW has 'em as well. 5th tool down.

I don't find anything on the Salt Lake BMW site - but could be I'm just not seeing it. I don't find any parts/tools there. Surely that can't be...

:bmw:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Oil Filter

In case any of you don't know, you can get the BMW oil change kit (sans oil) at Chicago BMW for a little over 12.00 plus shipping. If you buy a few in quantity, that delutes the 6.00 shipping cost and it comes out to like 7.00 cheaper then retail.

I don't know about you, but I am not going to worry about that kind of difference each 3,000 miles if I am doing it myself. We can get the BMW equivalent filter locally at Either Foothills BMW or BMW of Denver for 9.00. I have used it on 4 oil changes so far..

That savings is good enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts